Muffin-Tin Bacon Cheeseburgers
These Muffin-Tin Bacon Cheeseburgers are a fun and delicious twist on your classic burgers. With only half the bun, they’re a little healthier but still have all the flavor. Only 200 calories for one!It’s Wednesday and every Wednesday I have a long drive to pick up my kids from school so I always call my mom on the way there. I haven’t lived in the same state as my parents for 16 years so I try to check in often. My mom’s voice is so soothing. When she talks to me, all I want to do is lie down and take a nap. Not in a I’m so bored kind of way, more in like a zen-happy way. My mom had me when she was 43 so the age difference is big. She’ll be turning 79 next month and she has more energy than anyone I know. She told me this week that she still has her Christmas tree up…in March. She said it blends in with the family room. I remember that happening a couple of times when I was younger. I would be worried if I didn’t know that it’s just that she has a hard time letting go of the happiness and light that the tree brings. We’re visiting in a few weeks and she said that she wants to leave it up because she thinks my little girls will enjoy it. Yes, we all enjooooy Christmas. But it does have to end sometime, right? These Muffin-Tin Bacon Cheeseburgers are delicious. My husband said they remind him of McDonalds which could be good or bad depending how you feel about them. My family went crazy for them. To be honest, with half the bun, they’re somewhat healthy for you. Only 200 calories per sandwich!
Start by pressing one half of a burger bun in a buttered muffin tin. You could even use sandwich bread if that’s all you have.Add the browned meat and onion mixture and top with a little ketchup.
Finally, top with 1/4 of a slice of cheese and bake until melted.
Top with bacon, mustard, pickles,…whatever you want!
They fit perfectly in your hand!
Muffin Tin Cheeseburgers
- 1 tablespoon butter , melted
- 6 regular-size burger buns , split
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon , chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 6 slices American cheese , each cut in four pieces
- Optional toppings: dill pickle relish , yellow mustard, pickles, lettuce, tomato
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush 12 regular-size muffin cups with melted butter. Press half of a bun, cut side up, into each muffin cup.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat and transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain. Discard drippings in pan. Add beef and onion to the skillet; heat to medium-high heat. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until beef is brown. Drain.
- Divide beef mixture evenly among muffin cups and top each with 1 teaspoon ketchup. Top each one with cheese.
- Bake 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted. Immediately top with cooked bacon, followed by whatever toppings you want (relish, mustard, pickles, lettuce, tomato).
Source: slightly adapted from Taste of Home