Honey Garlic Chicken
HONEY GARLIC CHICKEN THIGHS
This time of year everyone is trying to eat healthy and the nonconformist in me wants to do the exact opposite.
The more I think about eating healthy chicken or fish with veggies, the more I just want to go eat a Krispy Kreme. The defiant inner teenager inside me wants to rebel and do exactly what I’m not supposed to.
I also have it in my head that I have to eat ALL of the junk food in my house before I can properly start to eat healthy. As if it’s my duty to eat the whole pound of See’s chocolate that my sisters gave me…ahem…before I can start eating healthy.
I just think of it as taking one for the team so my husband doesn’t have to ruin his healthy eating ways.
This crockpot honey garlic chicken is my compromise to the start of eating healthy. Although the ingredients aren’t entire healthy on their own if you ate them in their entirety, the chicken only cooks in it and then just a little sauce is eaten with it.
I think that chicken in the crockpot tends to be dry and lacking flavor that’s why chicken thighs are perfect for the crockpot.
OTHER SLOW COOKER RECIPES
- Slow Cooker Chicken Caesar Sandwiches
- Crockpot Italian Chicken
- Slow Cooker Creamy Potato Soup
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
Honey Garlic Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- optional fresh basil, shredded, for garnish
- Place the chicken in the bottom of a 4-quart slow cooker. In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, soy sauce, ketchup and honey. Pour over the chicken and cover.
- Slow Cooker instructions: Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. Be sure to check the chicken periodically. My chicken was done after 5 hours on low. Remove chicken, place on a plate and tent with foil to keep warm. Keep chicken whole or shred with two forks. Transfer the remaining sauce to a saucepan. Stir together the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl until dissolved and whisk into the sauce. Bring the sauce to boil and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Instant Pot Instructions: Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Remove chicken, place on a plate and tent with foil to keep warm. Keep chicken whole or shred with two forks. Stir together the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl until dissolved and whisk into the sauce in the Instant Pot. Change setting to saute. Bring the sauce to boil and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve a little sauce over the chicken and garnish with fresh basil. Serve chicken over rice with some broccoli or green beans on the side.