These Chicken, Spinach, and Mushroom Enchiladas are creamy enchiladas topped with a cilantro sour cream sauce. This dish is company worthy!
My husband and I are religious about date night. With five kids it’s honestly a necessity so you don’t become passing ships in the night. It takes so much energy to keep them alive, fed, and happy. Sometimes we have date night planned out and sometimes we jump in the car and figure it out from there. Really, it doesn’t matter where we go…we’re just happy to be out together. On our most recent date night we had plans that fell through but were already headed North so we decided to go to a Mexican restaurant that we’ve been hearing about for a while. The restaurant ended up being a longer drive than anticipated. Almost an hour. I don’t care how good the food is, I’m not sure an hour drive is ever worth it. But we were already halfway there so we figured we were committed. Now or never.
And the verdict? Meh.
But they did have Chicken, Mushroom, and Spinach Enchiladas on the menu that looked tasty so as soon as we came home I started trying to recreate the idea. If you hate mushrooms remember, so did I! Give them a second chance. Now I love them. Everyone and everything deserves a second chance.
You want to coarsely chop your spinach. I went for the really coarsely chopped because I know it all wilts down anyway. Add chicken and cream cheese. You can use shredded or cubed. I used cubed because that’s what I had but I prefer shredded. A rotisserie chicken would work well here. Fill up your tortillas with the filling and top with the sour cream cilantro sauce.
Restaurant quality my friends.
|Chicken, Mushroom, and Spinach Enchiladas|| |
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb mushrooms, chopped coarsely
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 9 ounces fresh spinach, washed, drained and coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (more to taste)
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1½ cups Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- For the filling: Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and saute onions, garlic and mushrooms until soft and liquid has evaporated, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove half of the mushroom mixture and set aside for the sauce.
- Add the chicken broth and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook until spinach has wilted and cooked down. Stir in the cream cheese until melted. Season with salt as needed. Stir in the chicken.
- For the Sauce: In a small sauce pan combine lime juice, chicken broth, and garlic powder. Add the reserved mushroom mixture, sour cream and cilantro. Reduce heat to simmer until sauce just begins to thicken. Add salt to taste.
- Divide filling evenly among the 8 tortillas, fill and roll and place them seam side down in the prepared pan.
- Pour sauce over enchiladas, top with shredded cheese and bake 10-15 minutes or until it's nice and bubbly.