These Taco Pizza Rolls are made with taco meat and cheese rolled up in pizza dough. Another twist on Taco Tuesday! Set up a toppings bar and let your guests get in the action and add their own toppings.
I was brainstorming dinner ideas and thought why not do a Mexican version of these Pizza Rolls? Taco Pizza Rolls! I tried a couple of different versions. I like to complicate things. I tried a version with crescent dough, a cream cheese/salsa sauce, taco meat, and cheese. Sounds good, right? Well, the crescent dough was too soft to handle the wet filling and although the flavor was good, I decided I needed to simplify things. My next version I made with just taco meat and cheese and decided that any other toppings could go on top. They were a total hit! Start by browning some beef and seasoning it with some Old El Paso taco seasoning. You want to make sure you break up the big chunks of beef so that it rolls easier. Sprinkle some Mexican blend cheese and roll it up as tight as you can starting with the long end of the rectangle. Cut about 1-inch slices with a sharp serrated knife so that you don’t squish the dough. Place them on your baking sheet… …and bake them for 10-12 minutes or until the tops turn golden brown. Then top your Taco Pizza Rolls with all of your favorite taco fixings: lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, or guacamole. Set up a toppings bar and let everyone design their own roll. Enjoy!
- ½ lb ground beef
- 1 can Pillsbury refrigerated classic pizza crust
- 2 tablespoons Old El Paso™ taco seasoning mix (from 1-oz package)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Optional toppings: lettuce, tomato, sour cream, onion, and guacamole
- Preheat oven to 400 ° and lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, cook and brown beef until no longer pink. Drain. Add taco seasoning and water and cook for 2-3 minutes. Set aside and cool slightly before using.
- Take pizza dough out of its package and unroll it onto a flat surface. Slightly roll or press the pizza dough out into a rectangle.
- Add the taco meat evenly on top of the pizza dough. Sprinkle the cheese evenly on top.
- Starting with the long edge of the pizza dough, roll dough tightly up into a roll. Using a serrated knife, make about 1-inch slices along the roll, making about 18 rolls.
- Place rolls on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Serve immediately and top with desired toppings.
Want to prepare ahead of time? These taco rolls can easily be made ahead of time and frozen until you need them.