This Strawberry Wonton Spinach Salad is filled with red bell peppers, onions, honey roasted peanuts, bacon, and crunchy wontons.
Last weekend I attended BlogHer Food in Miami. It’s a conference where we learn about food, talk about food, and eat food…oh about every 20 minutes. I didn’t feel a hunger pain the whole weekend. BlogHer asked me to speak on Pinterest so I spent the first day pestering people about tips they could give me to include in my session the following day. I even cornered Kevin from ClosetCooking in the elevator to pick his brain. Come to think of it, the elevator is also where I met David Lebovitz, famous author and blogger. So it looks like next year I’m just going to skip the conference all together and ride the elevator all day long to connect with fellow bloggers.
I shared a room with some of my favorite ladies: Sweet Treats and More, Oh Sweet Basil, and Taste and Tell. Sometimes the blog world can feel a bit like the game of Survivor. But these ladies have hearts of gold and I’m honored to be their friends. If you follow me on Instagram you saw that we ran into the Pioneer Woman…right before I split my black dress in half. Which unfortunately isn’t the first time I’ve eaten my way out of a dress. I ate so much food that my dress literally popped open and I sat awkwardly in the corner clutching it closed. After all of that eating, I’m spending this week retraining my body to not feel entitled to chocolate, Cuban sandwiches, yucca fries, and brownie brittle all day long. I’ve been making this salad for years. A couple of years ago I made it for 250 women for an event at our church. I believe the original recipe requires you to fry your own wontons and sugar your own nuts, but with that many people to feed we quickly found some shortcuts. Turns out you can buy wontons in the Asian section of your grocery store. And honey roasted peanuts taste just as good if not better. If you want to make your own nuts, melt about 1/3 cup sugar in a pan with some pecans or cashews.
|Strawberry Wonton Spinach Salad|| |
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup strawberry jam
- 1 head red or green leaf lettuce, chopped (about 7 ounces)
- 1 (7 ounce) package baby spinach
- ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ purple onion, sliced
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup honey roasted peanuts
- ½ cup cooked bacon pieces
- 1 cup wonton chips (see Notes)
- For the dressing: Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use. This can be made ahead of time.
- For the salad: Toss the lettuce, spinach, vegetables, and strawberries with the dressing right before serving. Add the peanuts, bacon, and wontons and toss in.
Source: adapted from my friend Audrey and the Lion House.