Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
This Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad is a salad made with shaved Brussels sprouts with bacon, onion, tomato, avocado, and Gorgonzola cheese.
SHAVED BRUSSELS SPROUTS SALAD
How was Mother’s Day for you? If you guys have ever read The 5 Love Languages, let me just tell you that my love language is absolutely NOT gifts. I don’t hate gifts, but they just don’t make my heart swell like a card (love language = words of affirmation) or doing something nice for me (love language = acts of service ). I’ve never been one for material things like the latest iPhone or a nice car. It’s completely wasted on me.
Plus, I strongly feel that Mother’s Day shouldn’t be about gifts but about sweet gestures like cleaning the house (service again) or letting me take a nap. Sunday, I took a nap and woke up to a spic and span house. Double the happiness.
So when my husband surprised me with a box of See’s chocolates (which aren’t sold here in Florida) and a pellet ice machine, I was wasn’t quite sure at first but quickly found myself thrilled. Apparently chocolate and pellet ice are my love languages. I even told him, “For someone who doesn’t like gifts, I REALLY like my gifts!”
Brussels sprouts? Christy, are you okay? Yes! Don’t knock them until you try them. I honestly was just craving a really good salad and that’s how this came about. First of all, these are shaved Brussels sprouts. Most grocery stores sell these already shaved in the produce section but you can shave them yourself too I suppose. Not all shaved Brussels sprouts are created equal. If you feel like they are a bit too thick give them a quick chop.
The great thing about Brussels sprouts salad is that they have a little more texture and bite than salad and it doesn’t get soggy. In my dream salad I added tomatoes, onion, bacon, avocado, and Gorgonzola cheese. You can use blue cheese instead but Gorgonzola is a little more mild. I topped it will a creamy balsamic vinegar. Because it’s dark in color, I suggest you let people dress their own or toss right before serving.
OTHER SALAD RECIPES:
- Crunchy Pea Salad
- Keto Broccoli Salad
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Poppy Seed Fruit Salad
- Frito Corn Salad
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Pizza Pasta Salad
Brussels Sprouts Salad
This Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad is shaved Brussels sprouts with bacon, onion, tomato, avocado, and Gorgonzola cheese.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoons water (if needed)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 9 ounces shaved Brussels sprouts (about 4 cups)
- 1 pint (2 cups) grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (or blue cheese)
- 1 avocado , diced
- 6 strips bacon , cooked and crumbled
- Blend olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mayonnaise, water (if needed- see Note), garlic, Dijon mustard, and brown sugar together in a blender or whisk together well. Season with salt and black pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl, add the Brussels sprouts, grape tomatoes, red onion, Gorgonzola (or blue cheese), avocado, and bacon. Toss in dressing right before serving or let people dress their own.
If you want your dressing extra thick don't add the water. You can always add it later if you want to thin it out.
Make sure your Brussels sprouts are shaved pretty finely. You want them to have some texture but not too chunky.
Source: Brussels Sprouts Salad (my idea), dressing from Allrecipes