This is the best Broccoli Salad and is always the first to go at potlucks. It’s full of bacon, almonds, raisins, and onion.
I haven’t posted lately because food and I have had a love/hate relationship.
Or in my husband’s words…a hate/hate relationship.
I’m pregnant…and finally telling.
And now that I’m 17 weeks my appetite is back with a vengeance.
And all this baby wants is egg salad and mustard covered sandwiches.
And a whole lot of this broccoli salad.
I understand that broccoli covered in nuts, bacon, and mayo kind of defeats the whole purpose of eating broccoli. But what baby wants…baby gets.
My friend Tara brought this to a barbecue and everyone kept going back for more. I always pay attention to what’s a hit at get togethers and this was definitely one. I’ve tried a ton of versions of this and this is by far my favorite.
- 8-10 cups of fresh broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ red onion, cut into thin bite sized slices
- ½ pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ¾ cup raisins or craisins (see Note)
- ¾ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Combine broccoli with the red onion, bacon, raisins, and almonds in a large bowl.
- To prepare the dressing, mix the mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar together until smooth. Stir into the salad.
- Let salad chill for about 3 hours. It may not seem like enough dressing but after it chills the dressing marinates and is plenty. This also allows the flavors to meld.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Source: my friend Tara Moore; adapted from Allrecipes