I blasted my heater on the way to the gym today. It was a chilly 68 degrees. Don’t laugh. This Arizona/Florida girl likes the heat. Anytime I have to put real shoes on, besides my flip flops, I get grumpy and agitated. The cool front had me craving some real comfort food and it seems like I always turn to Mel’s Kitchen Cafe for that.
Let me tell you something about broccoli cheese soup. A couple of years ago I was in charge of making soup for 250 women. We had a couple of different flavors but the broccoli cheese soup was gone WAY before the others. It tends to be a crowd favorite. This soup is thick, creamy, cheesy, and easy to make. I love the flavor that the Swiss cheese adds.
|Broccoli Cheese Soup|| |
- 1¾ cups chicken broth
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) butter
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, preferably sharp or extra sharp
- ½ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 cups chopped, lightly steamed or blanched broccoli (I left mine in pretty big chunks)
- Note: I used Mel's tip of cooking the broccoli in a glass bowl covered in saran wrap in the microwave for 3-4 minutes while you prepare the rest of the soup. The broccoli comes out perfect.
- Simmer chicken broth and chopped onion for 15 minutes in a covered small saucepan, until onions are soft. Heat milk in microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- In a separate medium-sized stockpot, melt butter then add flour, salt and pepper. Cook together, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, then whisk in warmed milk. Stir and heat together on medium heat until soup starts to thicken, about 5-8 minutes. Add warmed chicken broth and continue to stir until well blended.
- Add cheeses and stir until completely melted. Stir in cooked broccoli. Add more salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Mine was really thick because I think I added more broccoli than it calls for but that's how I like it. If you need to thin it out you can whisk in some more milk or chicken broth. If it's too thin, you can simmer it a bit longer to thicken it up.
- Serve immediately in bowls or bread bowls. Makes 4 servings.