I was Dorothy for Halloween probably 4 years in a row as a little girl. Being the sweet freak then as well as now I would eat my Halloween candy as I trick or treated. Or maybe I knew my mom was going to hide most of it when I got home so I was trying to consume all I could while I had control over my goods. By the time I came home I would have a massive stomach ache and would belly up my little pigtails to the bar while my mom fixed me warm chicken noodle soup to balance all that sugar.
|Chicken Taco Soup – A Post Trick or Treating Meal|| |
- 1 white onion, chopped finely
- 1 (16 oz.) can chili beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 1 (1.25 oz.) package taco seasoning
- 3 whole skinless, boneless, chicken breasts, thawed or frozen
- Stir onion, beans, corn, tomato sauce, dice tomatoes, and taco sauce into a slow cooker. *I sautee the onion before to make sure that they are not crunchy. Lay the chicken breast on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly so that it gets covered by other ingredients. Set slow cooker to low heat, cover, and cook for 3-4 hours on low if your chicken is thawed. May take 4-5 hours on low if your chicken is frozen.
- Remove chicken breasts from the soup and shred. Stir shredded chicken back into the soup. Your technically supposed to cook it on low for another 2 hours in the crockpot but you really don't have to. I never do. It's very forgiving. You can leave it in longer if you want too.
- Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips.
A tip from my sister-in-law Kristy: