Tue, 01 Sep 2015 7 Comments
Guaca-Tony is an Italian guacamole made with basil, garlic, avocado, red onions, and tomato. Instead of chips, super thin pizza crust strips are used. A knock-off from one of our favorite restaurant appetizers in Arizona.
I’m from Arizona and whenever I visit we plan everything around eating at our favorite food spots. There’s Tia Rosa’s, Bahama Bucks, Nielson’s Frozen Custard, In-n-Out, and of course, Oregano’s. Everything at Oregano’s is amazing but we always start off with their famous Guaca-Tony and end with a pizzookie. Their Guaca-Tony is an Italian version of guacamole served with the thinnest pizza crust you can imagine for dipping. I tried to replicate it and I believe it’s as close as it gets.
Start with 4 ripe avocados, red onion, fresh basil, tomato, garlic, and some lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. I’m so guilty of under-salting. Salt adds flavor so add a little at a time until it tastes right. Mash up your avocados – leave some chunks, toss in the add-ins and store in the fridge until ready to serve.Now for the Pizza Chips. You can totally use store bought dough if you want but it’s just as easy to make your own. The key to Pizza Chips is to make the dough as thin as possible. After 3 attempts, I finally figured out the perfect amount. It’s 1/4 of this recipe. You can do the math yourself and only make one batch but I’m thinking you definitely want more than one batch of Pizza Chips with all that guac. Trust me. We run out of Pizza Chips when we’re at Oregano’s too. After the dough has had a chance to rise, roll out 1/4 of the dough as thin as possible. I didn’t even need any flour for the surface but you can add some if needed. Now here’s the trick to the crispiest crust ever. Pour enough olive oil to coat the whole bottom of the pan. Then place your dough on top and sprinkle with garlic salt and a few Italian seasonings if you want. Bake for 5 minutes and then sprinkle fresh shredded Parmesan on top and bake another 5 minutes. Then you’ll get crust that looks like this. Except for these are way to thick.
These are my reject (and super tasty) versions. Bam! There it is. Gorgeous. You can make the Pizza Chips ahead of time and just warm them in the oven when you’re ready to serve.
- 4 ripe avocados
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- 1 small tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons basil, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1¾ cups warm water
- 4½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ olive oil (additional for oiling the pan)
- garlic salt
- Italian seasonings
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- For the Guaca-Tony: Remove the pit and scoop out the flesh of the avocados with a spoon.
- Place in a bowl and mash with a fork. I like to leave mine a little chunky. Mix in the rest of the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in the fridge covered with plastic wrap touching the surface so it doesn't turn brown.
- For the Pizza Chips: Dissolve the yeast in warm water.
- Add the flour, dissolved yeast, salt, and olive oil to a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment and knead on medium until dough is combines and pulls away from the bowl.
- Cover dough and let rest and rise for about 30-60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out ¼ of the pizza dough on a slightly floured surface into a circle as thin as possible. Save the rest of the dough for more pizza chips or freeze for later use.
- Pour olive oil onto the pizza pan until well covered (about 3 tablespoons or so). Place rolled out dough on top of the oiled pan. Brush additional olive oil on top and sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top and bake for 5 more minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into small slices and serve with Guaca-Tony. You can make the Pizza Chips ahead of time and pop them in the oven for a couple of minutes to get warm right before serving.
Sat, 29 Aug 2015 4 Comments
Hope you love this week's menu as much as I do! We have gotten together with some of our favorite food bloggers to bring you this custom weekly menu plan. We will all be sharing some of our favorite recipe ideas for you to use as you are planning out your meals for the week. Just click any of the … [Read More...]
Fri, 28 Aug 2015 4 Comments
It’s back to school for my kids this week! To celebrate I’m sharing super easy after school and lunch box snacks every day this week taste tasted and kid approved by my own children. If you don’t have to be a kid to enjoy these. These Double Strawberry Cookie Butter Bites are a twist on the classic … [Read More...]
Tue, 25 Aug 2015 6 Comments
*Thank you to those who have emailed me about my Facebook page being hacked. I was locked out of my own page and the hacker was posting offensive things every hour. I'm so sorry! Facebook has finally resolved the issue and my page is back to normal. Thanks for everyone who helped me out! XOXO - … [Read More...]
Mon, 24 Aug 2015 12 Comments
It's back to school for my kids this week! To celebrate I'm sharing easy after school and lunch box snacks every day this week taste tasted and kid approved by my own children. If you don't have to be a kid to enjoy these - I enjoyed them just as much! These Banana Peanut Butter Pops are bananas … [Read More...]
Sat, 22 Aug 2015 1 Comment
We are on week TEN of our weekly menu plan! We hope you have been enjoying each week of the recipes specifically designed to help you in your recipe planning. We have gotten together with some of our favorite food bloggers to bring you this custom weekly menu plan. We will all be sharing some of … [Read More...]
Thu, 20 Aug 2015 10 Comments
These Chicken Enchilada Roll Ups are a great appetizer for parties! Easy to make ahead and easy to serve. There are just a few more days until the kids go back to school and I think we're both ready for it. They could eat the same thing every day but I've been brainstorming ways to keep their … [Read More...]
Wed, 19 Aug 2015 11 Comments
These Cinnamon Roll Blondies are a chewy blondie with brown sugar and cinnamon swirled in and topped with cream cheese frosting. The yummy flavors of a cinnamon roll without the trouble of yeast.My husband was fitted for his first ever custom suit a month ago and just got it back yesterday. He suits … [Read More...]
Sun, 16 Aug 2015 16 Comments
I've been making this Artichoke Chicken since college. With only a couple of ingredients, it tastes like artichoke dip on top of chicken. I have a babysitter that is not only great with my kids but she completely cleans my house. Babysitter goldmine, right? I always clean before babysitters come … [Read More...]
Sat, 15 Aug 2015 Leave a Comment
We are on week nine of our weekly menu plan! We hope you have been enjoying each week of the recipes specifically designed to help you in your recipe planning. We have gotten together with some of our favorite food bloggers to bring you this custom weekly menu plan. We will all be sharing some of … [Read More...]