Day 3 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Orange Cookies
Perfectly soft orange cookies adorned with sweet icing. The perfect afternoon treat!
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 3 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar 1 pound box
- 4 to 5 tablespoons orange juice approximately
- 1 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and stir with a whisk to combine.
- Combine buttermilk and orange juice in a 2-cup measuring cup.
- Cream the butter and sugar, and zest in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape the bowl as needed.
- Alternate adding the flour and buttermilk mixtures starting and ending with the flour mixture. Drop by tablespoons or by a cookie scoop onto a cookie sheet lined with a Silpat mat or parchment paper (dough will be very wet). Bake for 10 minutes or until the bottoms are just beginning to brown. Do not overbake!Cool completely before topping with orange icing (recipe follows).
Cream butter, orange zest and salt in a bowl with an electric stand or hand mixer. Add sugar gradually, alternating with enough orange juice to make frosting the right consistency for spreading. Makes 4-5 dozen.
Source: Marzipan Mom