I’ve been wanting to make these for a while and now that Christmas is upon us it was perfect timing to make a batch. These orange cookies are soft and melt in your mouth. They have almost a cake like texture and a refreshing orange flavor. Enjoy!
Perfectly soft orange cookies adorned with sweet icing. The perfect afternoon treat!
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, 1 pound box
- 4 to 5 tablespoons orange juice, approximately
- 1 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and stir with a whisk to combine.
- Combine buttermilk and orange juice in a 2-cup measuring cup.
- Cream the butter and sugar, and zest in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape the bowl as needed.
- Alternate adding the flour and buttermilk mixtures starting and ending with the flour mixture. Drop by tablespoons or by a cookie scoop onto a cookie sheet lined with a Silpat mat or parchment paper (dough will be very wet). Bake for 10 minutes or until the bottoms are just beginning to brown. Do not overbake!Cool completely before topping with orange icing (recipe follows).
For the Orange Icing:
- Cream butter, orange zest and salt in a bowl with an electric stand or hand mixer. Add sugar gradually, alternating with enough orange juice to make frosting the right consistency for spreading. Makes 4-5 dozen.
Source: Marzipan Mom
They look wonderful!
Yum! These are lovely. Awesome job.
Mmm love cake-like cookies! I am loving your 12 days of Christmas cookies!
oh yum, i will definitely be baking these.
MmmmYum! These seem like they would be light and fluffy and delicious!!
oh I love orange flavor. something different but totally christmasy too. thanks christy
I was thinking that I was on cookie overload already (sad, huh!) but I want these SO badly!!
Oh they look so pillowey and delicate.
These cookies are wonderful! My grandmother always made them for Christmas and it made me smile when I saw your post title! Might have to make some of them for Christmas this year! Thanks for sharing.
These sound delicious! I love orange flavored baked goods:)
I’ve actually been wanting a good orange cookie – I remember eating them growing up but my mom doesn’t have her recipe anymore. Thanks for sharing this one!
The frosting does harden up a little and would be fine on a Christmas plate but I wouldn’t stack them probably.
Yum! These would be great for a holiday basket! Love the added orange flavor!
These are my go-to cookies, year-round! They go really well with a cup of warm tea in the Winter.
I also make lemon, and use lemon juice and zest in place of orange.
i have been wanting to make these forever! thanks!
I bet these were so good! I wonder how the glaze would do if these went into cookie boxes though? Does it harden? Or should I make these and just eat them all before they get to the gift boxes? ha!