Stove Top Mac and Cheese
Stove Top Mac and Cheese – Looking for the creamiest mac and cheese that can be made on the stove top? This is it!
STOVE TOP MAC AND CHEESE
I’ll be honest, my kids love a good boxed mac n’ cheese over any homemade mac n’ cheese. My goal is to make one that they would choose over a boxed version. When I worked out Outback their macaroni and cheese was just Velveeta mixed with cream and it was so dang good.
WHY NOT MAKE A ROUX?
I tried to make several versions of this. Some with a roux and some without. The overall consensus was that the versions made with the roux weren’t as creamy. The cream based versions were by far the ones that stayed the creamiest the longest.
WHAT KIND OF CHEESE DO I USE?
- I’ve found that freshly grated cheese melts the best when making this mac and cheese.
- You can use sharp, medium, or mild cheddar cheese. I’ve noticed that adults gravitate towards sharp cheese but my kids prefer more of a mild cheese.
- Variations such as Pepper Jack, Gouda, Mozzarella, or Colby Jack cheese can also be used as well
WHY ARE THERE EGGS IN MY MAC AND CHEESE?
I know it sounds weird but the eggs give the pasta a silky texture and bind the cheese sauce to the pasta.
OTHER MAC AND CHEESE RECIPES
OTHER PASTA RECIPES
- One-Pan Bacon Broccoli Pasta
- Creamy Sausage and Tomato Pasta
- Pizza Pasta Salad
- One-Pan Chicken Fajita Pasta
Stove Top Mac and Cheese
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 6 ounces heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 10 ounces freshly grated cheddar cheese (mild, medium, or sharp - see notes), (2 1/2 cups)
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy and cheese is completely melted.
Best Mac & cheese ever. The only one I make now
Wow that’s a compliment
Do I need to do anything specific to keep the eggs from scrambling? 😅
Just make sure your pasta isn’t too hot.
Is there anything I should do to make sure the eggs don’t scramble?
There are so many Mac and cheese recipes out there but this is easily my fave! So creamy and cheesy and none of that weird gritty taste some have. My fam loves this. Even my boys who don’t typically like mac and cheese love this. And it’s easy like I can actually just make it as a super quick side with very little planning and I love that. Thanks for a winner that I will be making over and over again for sure.
AWw that makes me happy!
I made this today because it looked so quick and easy. And it was, and it also tasted good. I used medium sharp cheddar, and used whole milk with an extra chunk (about 2 tablespoons) of butter, because I didn’t have any cream. I offered it with baby spinach leaves and diced fresh tomatoes. A satisfying, simple lunch. Thank you for this one.
Ooh the cream makes it! I hope you try it next time.
Sounds delish…do you have the nutritional information?
Could I use fat free half n half instead of heavy cream?
Yes, it just won’t be as creamy.