Spicy Hawaiian Chicken Burgers
Summer is here. We’ve been living at the pool. It’s the only way you can survive outside in Florida. You have to be in some sort of water and preferably not one with alligators in it. I’ve given up trying to even do my hair because by the time we do the pool thing and I shower, it’s dinner time. Usually I just let it air dry and it gets all wavy and unruly. I look like that big hairy guy from Harry Potter. What’s his name?
I also love being in the water because it takes some of the weight of this big belly of mine. People at the gym are starting to get worried that I’m still working out. I still have over two months to go but I’m apparently big enough for the “any day” comments to come my way . They stare at me and don’t want to get too close as if my water is going to break on them. Granted, I probably need a bigger workout top. Most of the time I’m actually working out…but I admit my ratio of workout time to looking at food on Pinterest on my phone is nearing 50/50.
We’ve been getting some major mileage out of our grill. I loved the idea of a chicken burger – not something I have often. This is a spicy chicken burger with Hawaiian flavors, topped with pepperjack cheese and some perfectly grilled pineapple.
If you’ve never had grilled pineapple you are missing out. Fresh is the ONLY way to go here. Canned pineapple simply won’t do. I usually like a well dressed burger, heavy on the mustard, but I found that this burger needed nothing. You could add some chipotle mayo but it’s juicy enough that it’s not needed.
Spicy Hawaiian Chicken Burgers
Grilled pineapple can take your grilled chicken up a notch on these spicy Hawaiian chicken burgers.
- 6 pineapple rings sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 6 slices pepper jack cheese
- 6 hamburger buns
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic minced
- optional sliced red onion for topping, chipotle mayo
- Combine the ground chicken, soy sauce, paprika, chili powder, seasoning salt, cumin, and garlic in a large bowl. Lightly mix with your hands and divide into 6 large even balls (or 8 smaller balls for smaller burgers). Form patties, making them slightly thinner in the middle for more even cooking. Refrigerate about 30 minutes (if you have the time).
- Preheat the grill to medium heat. Coat grates lightly with oil. Grill burgers over medium heat about 6 minutes per side or until done. The burgers will flip easily when they are done. Top with cheese for the last 1-2 minutes of cooking time to melt. Remove to a plate and cover with aluminum foil to rest.
- Add the pineapple rings to the grill and cook for about 2 minutes per side.
- To assemble the burgers: Add a pineapple ring to each burger, top with onion and chipotle mayo or other desired toppings.
Source: Home is Where the Holmans Are
If you don’t want to miss out on any recipes make sure you follow The Girl Who Ate Everything on Facebook!