Caprese Steak Salad
This Caprese Steak Salad is a fresh salad filled with balsamic marinated steak, tomatoes, mozzarella, avocado, and basil over a bed of mixed greens.
This post is a collaboration with Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. on behalf of the Beef Checkoff. I received compensation, but all opinions are my own.
One of my favorite summer salads is a classic Caprese Salad with tomatoes and mozzarella. Add a balsamic marinated Flat Iron Steak with some sliced avocado, and your taste buds are in for even more of a treat!
This Caprese Steak Salad has protein for a delicious and light, yet satisfying dish that’s sure to be a hit at your next BBQ!
The marinade for this steak is a balsamic vinaigrette that can double as a dressing for the salad. It’s balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and garlic.
Before adding the marinade to the beef, set aside half of the marinade to be your salad dressing. Use a resealable plastic bag or a glass bowl for marinating. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes to 2 hours, turning occasionally.
Grill to your desired level of doneness. Keep in mind that you will want to remove the steak from the grill when the thermometer reads 5°F lower than your desired temperature because on average the temperature of your steak will rise 5°F as it continues to rest off the grill.
- Medium Rare: 145°F – warm red center
- Medium: 160°F – warm pink center
- Well Done: 170°F – little or no pink.
One thing I love about this marinade is that it gives the steak a beautiful dark caramelized crust when it’s grilled.
This steak salad is the perfect combination of sweet tomatoes, savory sliced Flat Iron Steak, avocados, and creamy mozzarella.
Visit BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com for more tips and grilling inspiration.
If you love this Caprese Steak Salad, you’ll love these beef recipes:
Caprese Steak Salad
- 3/4 lb. Flat Iron Steak other cuts like Top Sirloin or Tenderloin would work well here too
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups of mixed greens
- 1 cup of grape tomatoes halves
- 1 cup of bocconcini mozzarella balls
- 1 avocado seeded and sliced
- ½ red onion sliced
- ¼ cup basil leaves sliced
- 1.Whisk together the marinade ingredients. Reserve half in the refrigerator for later as a dressing. Pour the remaining half on the steak in a glass bowl or resealable plastic bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat your grill to medium high heat and oil the grill grate. Cook the steak for 3-5 minutes per side or until a meat thermometer reads the desired doneness. Medium Rare:145°F ; Medium: 160°F; Well Done: 170°F.
- Remove steak from the grill and let it rest for 5 minutes to let the juices redistribute. Slice against the grain in thin slices.
- For the salad: In a large shallow serving bowl, arrange the mixed greens, tomatoes, mozzarella balls, avocado, red onion and basil leaves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the sliced steak. Drizzle with the reserved balsamic dressing. Note: You can also serve in individual portions on smaller plates.