Easy White Chicken Chili
This Easy White Chicken Chili recipe feeds a crowd and is easily thrown in the slow cooker. This white bean chili is packed with green chilies and cheese.
We had family pictures yesterday. My husband is a good sport about most things but he really hates getting family pictures done. He asked for his birthday this year if his gift could be to NOT have family pictures. It’s not like I LOVE having them done but I think it’s important to have little snapshots of our family throughout the years.
I casually asked my husband if he was going to shave for family pictures. He literally hasn’t shaved since last year and is a couple of beard hairs away from being a brother on Duck Dynasty.
He’s a man of select words so half of our communication is through facial expressions and when a big hairy beard is hiding his expressions (and his dimples), it makes for a lot of guesswork. Family pictures is usually an internal push for him to bust out the razor.
I always get the comment, “You’re such a nice wife to let him grow it out like that.” Ha ha…really? All I know is I wouldn’t like him telling me what to do with my clothes and hair, so why would I do it to him?
His response to my question was, “I’ll shave my beard…if you cancel family pictures.”
We both win. Or lose depending how you look at it.
So the mountain man will be gracing our Christmas card this year.
My December calendar is already packed. I’m totally into easy no stress meals this month so I can focus on other things. This Easy White Chicken Chili is exactly that. It can be thrown together in under 20 minutes and is filling and comforting.
I used some leftover turkey I had on hand. I already have a White Chicken Chili on this blog that is really good but it starts with a roux and takes a little more time. This is the cheater version of that. Yay for easy.
Easy White Chicken Chili
White chicken chili is a great warming recipe for weekend gatherings.
- 1 onion chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 15-1/2 ounces cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed (other white beans can be substituted like cannellini)
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- optional Tabasco sauce
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, sauté onions in oil until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients except sour cream and cheese.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until heated through. Shortly before serving, add sour cream and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. If you like a little kick add a few shakes of Tabasco sauce.
- Slow Cooker Version: Sautee onion until soft and throw everything except for the sour cream and cheese in a crockpot on low for 3-4 hours. Shortly before serving, add sour cream and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and add Tabasco sauce if desired.
adapted from Gooseberry Patch