Magic Cookie Bars
Magic Cookie Bars recipe has a buttery graham cracker crust topped with sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut, and pecans. This dessert is sometimes called Seven Layer Bars or Hello Dolly Bars.
MAGIC COOKIE BARS RECIPE
This vintage recipe dates back heaven knows how long. I’m always surprised when people have never heard of 7-layer bars. The reason I’m posting this recipe is that my sister called surprised saying, “You don’t have a recipe for Magic Cookie Bars on your site?!”
This is one of the easiest desserts you can make.
I said that I didn’t because I assumed everyone knew the recipe by heart but apparently although small, there are many variations of these out there.
MAGIC BAR ERCIPE INGREDIENTS:
- graham crackers
- sweetened condensed milk
- semisweet chocolate chips
- butterscotch chips
- shredded coconut
- chopped pecans
- use milk chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips instead
- omit the butterscotch chips
- switch it up and add peanut butter chips
- add white chocolate chips
- don’t love coconut? Leave it out.
EVAPORATED MILK VS SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK
These are not the same and cannot be used in place of another. Sweetened condensed milk is much more sweet and thick whereas evaporated milk is thinner.
GRAHAM CRACKER CRUMBS
You can buy them or use a food processor to blend them into fine crumbs.
These can be stored at room temperature in a resealable container for up to 3 days, kept in the fridge for up to 5 days, and frozen for up to two months.
There’s quite the debate whether the sweetened condensed milk should be poured first or last. I’ve tested both and have come to the conclusion that placing the toppings last results in more of a toasted coconut and overall more appealing look.
OTHER DESSERT RECIPES:
- Monster Magic Cookie Bars
- S’mores Cookie Bars
- Homemade Reese’s Bars
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
- Chocolate Cherry Bars
- Banana Bread Bars
Magic Cookie Bars
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut, (both sweetened and unsweetened work)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper or grease well.
- In a medium bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter until well combined. Press crumbs into the bottom of the pan firmly in an even layer to form the graham cracker base.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the crust.
- Sprinkle the chocolate and butterscotch chips on top of the graham cracker crust in an even layer. Sprinkle the nuts and coconut flakes on top.
- Press down toppings gently with a fork. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until coconut starts to turn golden brown. Cool completely and cut into small squares.