These Banana Bars are soft is moist with brown butter icing. Think of the best banana bread made into easy to eat bars. This recipe is great for breakfast, brunch, desserts, and potlucks! One of the best ways to use up brown bananas.
BANANA BAR RECIPE
Bananas are a hot commodity in my house. My husband snags them when they’re still green and freezes them for his protein shakes.
Something I don’t really understand but I’m sure he’s explained to me the scientific reason why underipe bananas are better for his workout shakes.
Then there’s my little baby Wes who eats one for breakfast every morning.
This week Wes boycotted bananas and the bananas sitting on my counter were too ripe for John’s muscles so I found myself looking at a bunch of overipe bananas getting more ripe by the minute.
My usual go-to is my favorite way to use bananas is this Banana Bread. Ohhh, it’s good. But today I made these banana bars with brown butter frosting and it’s the perfect way to use up bananas.
It’s super moist sour cream banana squares topped with a browned butter frosting. I found the recipe from a comment from a reader on another blog.
I love finding recipes in obscure places. It’s a family favorite recipe…my favorite kind of recipe. These are the best banana bars and I could eat the entire pan.
- Banana Muffins
- Banana Cream Pie
- Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding
- Banana Cake
- Easy Banana Split Dessert
- Banana Bread Cookies
- Banana Foster French Toast
Banana Bar recipe
Banana Bread Bars:
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cups 3 or 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, (optional)
Browned Butter Frosting:
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- about 3 tablespoons milk or half and half
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour 10x15 jelly roll pan or line with parchment paper (for thicker bars use a 9x13 pan and bake for 10 minutes longer than directed). In a large mixing bowl, beat first four wet ingredients with an electric mixer or stand mixture with the paddle attachment until creamy.until creamy. Blend in the mashed bananas and vanilla for one minute. Add dry ingredients and blend flour mixture for one minute. Stir in nuts and pour batter into the pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Cool slighty until warm but not hot and frost with Browned Butter Frosting (recipe below).
- For the Browned Butter Frosting Recipe: Heat butter in saucepan over medium heat past the melting point until it is boiling and a delicate brown. Remove from the heat and immediately add the remaining ingredients. This should be thicker than a glaze and thinner than frosting. You can add milk to get it to the correct consistency. Using a spatula smooth over the top of the banana bars immediately for the best results. The frosting will be easier to spread once it's on the warm bread.