(originally posted 2012)
GRAHAM CRACKER CRUMBS
In this cake the flour is replaced with graham cracker crumbs which results in a moist, coarse-crumbed cake unlike any cake I’ve ever had. I just used a huge Hershey’s bar to make the frosting which is probably against the frosting rules. I’m sure you’re supposed to use nice gourmet milk chocolate but when I think s’mores, the Hershey flavor is what comes to mind.
Graham Cracker Cake:
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, yolks and whites divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs, (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (7 ounce jar) marshmallow creme
Milk Chocolate Frosting:
- 8 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoons corn syrup
- mini marshmallows
- chocolate chips
- graham cracker crumbs
- For the Graham Cracker Cake: Preheat the oven to 375°. Line the bottom of two 9-inch round cake pans with parchment or wax paper. Spray each pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt; stir together and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Transfer to a separate bowl and set aside. Replace the mixer bowl and fit with the paddle attachment. Cream together the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in the egg yolks until well combined. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add in the dry ingredients alternately with the milk on low speed, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and mixing just until incorporated. Using a rubber spatula, fold in about a third of the egg whites to lighten the batter. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites until completely incorporated. Batter will look a little strange! Don't be worried.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake the cakes for about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for about 5-10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack, remove the parchment paper, and cool.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, transfer one of the cake layers to the serving platter. Carefully spread a layer of marshmallow fluff over the cake, not quite reaching the edges. Top with the remaining cake layer and refrigerate for about 1 hour or until firm.
- Once cake has cooled prepare the Milk Chocolate Frosting. Combine the chocolate, cream, butter and corn syrup in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second intervals or until the chocolate has melted. Whisk the ingredients together until completely smooth. It will be thin. Pour frosting over the top of the chilled cake, allowing it to run down the sides in some places.
- Let frosting set slightly so that your decorations don't just run down the side. Once it has set slightly, garnish with mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, and graham cracker crumbs. Return to the refrigerator to chill until set.
- Cake will set up quickly, and should be stored in the refrigerator if not being served shortly after being assembled.
Is it possible to bake the whole batch in a 9-inch pan? Because my oven cannot fit 2 9-inch pan in the same time 🙁 really want to try this recipe…
Make them one at a time!
Is it possible to bake the whole batch in a 9-inch pan? Because my oven cannot fit two 9-inch pan 🙁 really want to try this recipe
I’m afraid the cake would bake unevenly if you put it all in one 9 inch pan. It would over flow. You could try adding most of the batter and then slicing it in half lengthwise.
This subject is very stimulating and I thank you for this great post.
This will be a HUGE hit when my I have an indoor camping with my friends! Thanks Christy
I MUST TRY THIS……
I am a s’mores freak! I have had s’mores cake before but I love the “messy” look of yours, ooey, gooey, and “messy” just like s’mores should be!
This is by far my favorite take on smores that I’ve seen this summer!! I cannot wait to try out this cake! Thanks so much for sharing this great recipe!
oh my goodness – that graham cracker cake alone has me drooling! but paired with marshmallow creme and milk chocolate frosting? I am SOLD! Christy, this cake looks SO SO good.
wow, this looks incredible! And so much better than traditional messy s’mores – at least you eat this with a fork 🙂
Wow! Super delicious!!!
I’ll take anything s’mores! Yum!
Oh man what a wonderful recipe!! The pictures have me drooling!!
I love that you used Hershey’s! I agree, although its not even technically a chocolate it essential for smores! And I love buttery graham cracker crusts so I bet this cake would be perfect for me!
OMG that looks amazing. I have decided to have cake for breakfast :))) x
Wow look at the middle oozing out!
that looks like some melty goodness! yum!
I added chocolate chips in the cake itself and between the layers for crunch factor. Also used the chocolate magic shell for the top. Oh yeah! GREAT cake recipe!
Yum. Perfect for today — S’mores Day! Love the non-messy factor.
Holy yum! I’ve gotta make this, asap!!
Oh my gosh! That looks heavenly. My friends and I are huge s’mores fanatics so I will have to give it a try. Thanks for the unique idea!