Graham Streusel Coffee Cake
This Graham Streusel Coffee Cake is an unbelievably easy coffee cake with lots of brown sugar, graham crackers, and cinnamon. Although it’s considered a breakfast food, it’s really a treat for any time of the day. Every time I go to the grocery store with my kids (which is often), they all take a turn weighing themselves on the huge scale at the entrance of the store.
I’ve lived in Florida so long that I’m not really sure if this is just a Florida thing or if all grocery stores have a mammoth sized scales right up front next to the empty grocery carts.
So when does self consciousness kick in? At what age do we stop weighing ourselves in public?
You couldn’t pay me to get up there. Even when I go to the doctor now I kick off my flip-flops and take off my sunglasses before I’m weighed.
Because you know those weigh sooo much. I’ve been married 14 years and my husband doesn’t know what I weigh.
This Graham Streusel Coffee cake has layers of cake and streusel all throughout. It’s so easy.
I never really understood why we all pretend that coffee cake is a breakfast food when it is in fact just cake.
I’m not arguing – but who are we kidding? We’ll we’re not trying that hard to pretend that THIS version isn’t just cake because this coffee cake starts with a cake mix. Start by layering half of your prepared cake mix and then layer half of the streusel on top. Pour the remaining half of the cake mix on top (that’s what’s pictured above) and the rest of the streusel. So easy right? Look at that streusel baby. The graham crackers in the streusel gives it that extra crunch. This makes a full 9×13 pan. I made it and was kind of wondering who I should give it away to since there’s no way my family could eat all of that. Wrong. Two days later, we had eaten the whole thing.
Graham Streusel Coffee Cake
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs, (see Note)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 (15.25-oz) package yellow cake mix (and ingredients called for on the package such as eggs and oil)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon. Stir in butter; set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake for 5 minutes so that the streusel doesn't sink to the bottom. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with half of the graham cracker mixture.
- Carefully spoon the remaining batter on top. This is tricky but it's very forgiving. Sprinkle with the remaining graham cracker mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 25-35 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the glaze: combine powdered sugar and milk; add more milk 1 tablespoon at a time to desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled coffee cake.
Source: Taste of Home
Like coffee cake? Check out this –