Crispy Baked Mushrooms
These Crispy Baked mushrooms are breaded in crunchy Panko crumbs mixed with Pecorino Romano cheese and then baked until crispy. They remind me of an appetizer we used to order at Outback but this is a much healthier version.
CRISPY BAKED MUSHROOMS
On Halloween I gave myself a free pass to eat whatever I wanted. No Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, Twix, or Almond Joy was safe. My three boys scored over 500 pieces of candy so I had tons to choose from. After raiding my kid’s candy bags and our own stash of candy, I was so sick that I swore off sweets until next year. All I wanted was something savory and healthy. But the next day somehow the memory of being sick was erased and I went scouring the house for candy. Not to mention my site was down and I needed some chocolate to make it all better.
I’m admitting that I’m at the point where I need to ask my husband to hide it from me so I’m not tempted.
You could use regular breadcrumbs as well but I love the extra crunch that Panko breadcrumbs have. I like to use Pecorino Romano cheese because it has a stronger flavor than grated Parmesan but you could use either.I like to dip mine in ranch…
OTHER APPETIZER RECIPES:
- Chili’s Queso Dip
- Beef Enchilada Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Easy Feta Dip
- Hot BLT Dip
- Black and White Bean Dip
- Chip n’ Dips
- 7-Layer Mediterranean Dip
Crispy Baked Mushrooms
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 1 egg white
- 3 Tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano, Parmesan can be substituted
- 4 Tablespoons Italian seasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- ranch or marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Using a damp paper towel, gently wipe each mushroom, cleaning it.
- In a large Ziploc bag combine the breadcrumbs, cheese, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place egg white in a separate large Ziploc bag. Add mushrooms and shake to coat.
- Remove mushrooms and place in breadcrumb bag and shake well to coat evenly.
- Place mushrooms in an even layer on the baking sheet. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with ranch or marinara for dipping.