Chocolate Chip Pizza
My oldest son turned 9 last week. I’ll be honest, there are days where I’m sitting in my living room by myself and I have moments where I think, “Holy cow, I have five kids.”
Don’t get me wrong, I always wanted a big family, but I wasn’t one of those people always squealing and wanting to hold other people’s babies. I was the youngest of ten kids so I didn’t have a ton of experience with babies since I was the baby of my own family.
I often wondered what kind of mom I would be. My husband and I waited 4 years to have kids after we were married. Even though all of our friends were pressuring us to have kids, we were enjoying our freedom and thought they just wanted us to have kids so we could be tied down and miserable like they were. 😉 And then we tried getting pregnant and couldn’t. Joke was on us.
Years later we finally had our first baby. We struggled to figure out the whole parenthood thing. Google was our best friend. Why is there stuff coming out of my son’s nipple? Why is my son banging his head against his crib? Is it normal for my baby’s eyes to cross? I had moments where nothing but my mother’s intuition (and help from above) could explain why I was directed to do the things I did. I was finally a mother.
I think about how much we have learned in 9 years…
…And how much more we have yet to learn.
Now if you’re on a diet you may want to look away. If you want to be a rock star at your next party…eyes on me. This pizza is your new best friend.
This pizza is the real deal. Supposedly this is like the Pizza Inn Chocolate Chip Pizza. The secret to this chocolate chip pizza is the cake mix topping. It gives it that dough-like texture. It’s topped with a generous sprinkle of sugar which gives it a crunchy top. You want to bake it until that sugar melts. As you can see, I pulled mine out a little too early before all of it had melted. Do as I say not as I do. I believe she was saying, “Oh wow Mom!”
I’m thoroughly convinced that everyone should be surrounded by a herd of easily impressed 2-year-olds. It’s great for the self esteem.
You will need a small army to eat this. Of course in the Denney house it was gone in a day.
Chocolate Chip Pizza
- 1 11 ounce refrigerated thin crust pizza dough
- 1 15.25 ounce yellow cake mix
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks, melted)
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly spray a 15"x10" pan with cooking spray.
- Press the pizza dough into the pan extending 1/2 inch up the sides. Prick with a fork to prevent bubbles.
- Bake for 3-4 minutes.
- While crust is baking mix granulated sugar and brown sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Remove crust from oven. Mix the butter and cake mix together and sprinkle over the crust leaving a 1/2 inch margin on the sides. Press together gently.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips and press chips into the cake mix gently.
- Evenly distribute the sugar mixture on top being careful to not sprinkle it on the pizza dough edges.
- Bake for 7-12 minutes on an upper level rack in the oven. You want the sugar on top to melt creating a crust without cooking the crust on the bottom too much.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving.
Source: Terhune Photography