Creamy Cucumber Salad
CUCUMBER SALAD RECIPE
When you need something cool and refreshing, this salad is just what you’re looking for!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS SALAD
- It’s quick and healthy. Substitute Greek yogurt for the sour cream for a lighter option.
- It hits all the taste buds. Savory, sweet, creamy, tangy.
- CUCUMBERS – Hothouse or English cucumbers are best to use here.
- RED ONION – I like the taste of red onion but any onion can be used.
- SOUR CREAM – For a lightened up version use less sour cream or use Greek yogurt as a sub.
- GARLIC POWDER – Gives this a rounder flavor.
- RED WINE VINEGAR – I like the tanginess of red wine vinegar. White wine vinegar is a little stronger in my opinion. Apple cider vinegar would work as well.
- FRESH DILL – I don’t always have fresh dill on hand but it makes such a difference. A teaspoon of dried dill weed can be substituted.
- SUGAR – Just a pinch of sugar takes the edge off the acidity of the vinegar base.
HOTHOUSE/ENGLISH CUCUMBERS VERSUS REGULAR CUCUMBERS
Hothouse cucumbers have thinner skin and smaller less noticeable seeds. Some people believe that they are seedless but they are just smaller and easier to chew through. They are long and more narrow than regular cucumbers and are usually sold in plastic wrap to protect their thinner unwaxed skin.
HOW LONG DOES IT KEEP IN THE FRIDGE?
You can store it in the fridge for a few days but the cucumbers with salt on them will release moisture which is why it’s best eaten the same day.
CAN I LEAVE THE SUGAR OUT?
OTHER SALAD RECIPES
- Cucumber Avocado Salad
- Greek Salsa
- Caprese Pesto Pasta Salad
- Broccoli Grape Pasta Salad
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Pizza Pasta Salad
- Taco Pasta Salad
Creamy Cucumber Salad
This Creamy Cucumber Salad is fresh, tangy, sweet, and savory. This popular side dish salad has finely sliced cucumbers, onions, sour cream, and dill.
- 2 Hothouse or English cucumbers, peeled or unpeeled depending on preference (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup red onion sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon sugar (use erythitol for Keto option)
Slice cucumbers very thinly using a mandolin, vegetable peeler, or knife. Add to a large bowl.
Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and stir to coat. Chill until serving. Best if served the same day.