This Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna is comfort food at its best. Layers of ham, chicken, and creamy white sauce make for one tasty dinner for your family or to bring in to someone.
I’m not even going to pretend that this is low cal. I had a ton of ham leftover from this ham and was trying to decide what to make. This lasagna recipe is creamy with ham, chicken, and a white sauce that pulls it all together. I immediately thought of my friends having babies and how I could bring them this. It’s one of those recipes.
I’ve been trying to post this recipe for a while but have had total writer’s block. I know this blog is about food but I try to throw tidbits of my life in here to which 80% of you…okay 90% of you probably skim past anyway. Blah, blah, blah…recipe already!
I know that when I read other recipe blogs, I love reading their little life insights and stories…20% of the time.
Most things I can’t write about. They’re either entirely not food friendly (raising kids can be really, really gross) or they’re way too personal (family drama – who doesn’t have it?).
Can’t the recipe speak for itself sometimes? I think so. It’s a lot of layering.
Noodles, meat, sauce. Noodles, meat, sauce. You can handle it.
- 1 (8 ounce) package lasagna noodles (about 9 noodles)
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1¾ cups warm milk
- 2½ cups rotisserie chicken, diced
- 8 ounces deli ham, chopped
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 pinch Italian seasoning, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in the boiling water until cooked through but firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and stir in cream cheese into hot butter until it begins to melt, about 5 minutes. It might look strange here! Don't worry. This is normal. Season with salt, onion powder, and black pepper. Whisk warm milk gradually into cream cheese until smooth; make sure to do it slowly. Stir in 1½ cups of Swiss cheese.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer, whisking continually until cheese has melted and sauce has thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove mixture from heat.
- Spread a thin layer of cheese sauce onto the bottom of a 9x9-inch baking dish.
- Arrange ⅓ of the lasagna noodles over the sauce (3 noodles for me). You can tear them to fit as needed. Spread half the cooked chicken and half the ham over the noodles. Pour 1 cup sauce over chicken and ham. Repeat layers starting with half the remaining lasagna noodles, remaining chicken, remaining ham, and 1 more cup of cheese sauce. Finish by layering remaining lasagna noodles, remaining sauce, remaining ½ cup Swiss cheese, and bread crumbs; sprinkle top with Italian seasoning. Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until casserole is bubbling, about 25 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until crumbs are browned, about 10 more minutes. Let casserole stand 10 minutes before serving.
Here are some other recipes you might like: