This One-Pan Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice dish is perfect for a busy weeknight when things are hectic. Only one dish to clean for this satisfying dinner. I’m a little late to the one-pot, one-pan party. I don’t know why I’ve been resistant but with food trends, I’m either really early or really late to try them. I think I was the last person in the world to eat quinoa. And cookie butter…, just had my first taste ever yesterday. I think I was purposely trying to avoid it because it’s one of those things that I knew I would find myself elbow deep in before realizing the whole jar was gone. Move over Nutella, cookie butter is the hot ticket in town now (thanks Heather for buying me a jar). Anywhoooo, back to one-pan dishes. I feel no reason to ever make anything in more than one pan now. I loathe dishes. This is a trend I plan on hanging on to for a while.
I wasn’t planning on sharing this dish, which is why there aren’t any step-by-step shots. I made it purely out of necessity. I was trying to keep my house clean for 12 hours before I had to host Bunko and looked up one-pan dishes so that I could keep my kitchen clean and still feed my family. After I made it, it looked so pretty so I snapped a couple of pictures just in case. I found this recipe over at No. 2 Pencil. She has a ton of one-pot recipes that you guys should check out.
|One-Pan Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice|| |
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced finely
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup uncooked extra long grain white rice
- 2½ cups broccoli florets, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2½ cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet or pan, sauté onions in two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Once onions soften, increase the heat to medium high and add chicken to the pan.
- Brown the chicken pieces and add the garlic. Cook for about 1 more minute.
- Push chicken to one side of the pan and add additional tablespoon of olive oil to other side.
- Add the uncooked rice in the olive oil and saute it for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook chicken and rice mixture covered for about 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle the broccoli evenly over the chicken and rice mixture and stir to combine.
- Continue to cook covered another 8 minutes on low, or until broccoli and rice are both tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in half a cup of cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover with a lid, letting it sit for 1-2 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Source: Number 2 Pencil