I was recently in Utah and realized that it’s still cold in other parts of the world while we’re sweating here in Florida. While I was there I had lunch with some fellow foodies: Chef In Training, Sweet Treats and More, Taste and Tell, and Oh Sweet Basil. It was so nice to be able to talk incessantly about food without fear of being judged while trying to juggle our plethora of children.
And it seems that we also have the same taste in food because this morning when I popped this in the slow cooker I didn’t even realize that this recipe came from Sweet Treats and More until later in the day. This chicken chili is made a whole lot heartier with some quinoa. Quinoa has a ton of protein and is a great addition to an already protein packed chili.
- 1 (28 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can of chili beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can of corn, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (use 3 if they're small)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2-3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup of quinoa, rinsed
- toppings of your choice (cheese, sour cream, avocados, and tortilla strips)
- Make sure you rinse the quinoa and then add everything into a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low or 4-6 hours on high. If you're using frozen chicken you may have to cook it longer.
- Remove chicken and shred it with two forks. Return to slow cooker.
- Garnish with cheese, sour cream, avocados, and tortilla strips.