It’s that time of year. Your tree is up, you’ve hopefully started your Christmas shopping, and your Elf on the Shelf is making snow angels in powdered sugar while your kids are sleeping (at least that’s what mine is doing tonight).
This is also the time of year where you subconsciously reevaluate your friendships. You go over your Christmas card list and decide who is in…and who is out. Maybe you haven’t actually talked in years but your bond is still strong. Or are there some people that you think to yourself, “How long are we going to keep doing this?” Do I really need to still send my friend’s cousin’s aunt that I met ten years ago a card?
With everyone tightening their financial belt, it’s time to decide if this relationship is worth a stamp or is it time to cut the tie?
Then there are new friendships made throughout the year to add to the list. And you all know that you keep a handful of extra ones for mid December for when you get a card from someone and realize you’ve totally spaced them. Ahhh!
But it’s also that time of year to make some magic. My kids got so excited when I told them we were making Polar Express Hot Chocolate. Creamy and completely decadent, just the way Polar Express Hot Chocolate should be. Curl up with this and watch some Christmas classics.
- 6 cups milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ cups bittersweet chocolate chips (use a quality chocolate like Ghirardelli)
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- In a large pot combine all of the ingredients over low heat. Keep mixture over low heat for 30-40 minutes whisking occasionally until chocolate is fully melted and incorporated with the other ingredients. You can add milk here to adjust to your chocolate preference. Give it a good whisking before serving to get it nice and frothy. If you have an immersion blender, that works great here.
- Serve immediately or pour into a crockpot and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Top with whipped cream, crushed candy canes, or sprinkles.