I’m guilty of picking out the marshmallows of the Lucky Charms cereal, for licking just the frosting off a slice of cake, and for eating just the pepperonis off the pizza. I’m a topping picker. So sue me. Or just don’t share anything with me. That would be no fun…for you.
Salads are no exception. By the time I’m done eating a salad, all of the goodies are gone with just a bunch of lettuce left.
Last time I was visiting Arizona my sister made this salad for our Sunday dinner and I fell in love with it. Although it does have a lot of toppings for me to pick off, I enjoy the whole salad. The apples and gorgonzola cheese are the perfect compliment to each other. Recently I was in charge of making the salad for over 200 women for a church event. This is the salad I made because I knew it would be a hit.
|Candied Pecan, Apple, and Gorgonzola Salad|| |
- ½ cup pecan halves or pieces
- ¼ cup sugar
- 6 cups of Romaine lettuce or other mixed greens
- 1 large or 2 small apples, cored and diced (I like to use Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, or Gala)
- ½ cup Gorgonzola cheese
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup honey
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ cup canola oil
- To make the candied pecans, pour the sugar in a small skillet and pour the pecans on top. Cook over medium heat until sugar melts and turns a caramel color stirring constantly so that the nuts and sugar do not burn. Be patient! It takes a while for the sugar to start melting. Once the sugar turns a caramel color coat keep stirring to coat the pecans with it. Pour pecans onto greased wax paper or aluminum foil to cool. Once pecans are cooled, break them into pieces.
- Note: If you happen to get to a point where your sugar will not melt and is just clumping, a quick fix is to add 1 tablespoon of water to the pan over the heat to get the sugar liquefied. Your pecans will not be as crisp but still taste yummy. Trust me, I made about 20 batches of these pecans and I got a little distracted during a couple of batches and wasn't stirring like I should.
- Place lettuce in a serving bowl and add apples, Gorgonzola cheese, and pecans. Toss with dressing right before serving or let people add their own dressing.
- For the dressing: In a blender, combine vinegar, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper. Place lid on blender and blend on high. While blender is running, add oil in a steady stream. Store in refrigerator for about 2-3 weeks. Shake well before serving.
Salad from my sister Susan; Dressing from Our Best Bites