Taco Pigs in a Blanket
Taco Pigs in a Blanket are a Mexican twist on the classic appetizer. Make a toppings bar so everyone can top their own.
TACO PIGS IN A BLANKET
My sister recently called me to get ideas for a party that she had to bring an appetizer to. I asked her if she thought about bringing Pigs in a Blanket. What? She had never heard of them. I don’t know what rock she’s been living under but Pigs in a Blanket have been around forever. I find myself often bringing them to parties where I want to guarantee my kids will at least eat something.
I have Jalapeno Popper Pigs in a Blanket already on this blog but why not try a Mexican version of Pigs in a Blanket? I tested a couple of different ways of making them. First, I tried sautéing the cocktail sausages in taco seasoning and then wrapping them in dough. That just made for a soggy situation. After many versions, my family and I decided that the cocktail sausages rolled up with cheese and brushed with taco seasoned butter provided the taco flavor we loved.
Then set up a bar with all of the fixings and let everyone top their own!
A little sour cream, salsa, and green onions are what I opted for.
You might want to consider doubling these because they go fast!
Taco Pigs in a Blanket
After many versions, my family and I decided that the cocktail sausages rolled up with cheese and brushed with taco seasoned butter provided the taco flavor we loved.
- 1 (8 ounce) can refrigerated crescent dough
- 6 slices of cheddar cheese , cut in fourths
- 24 cocktail-size smoked link sausages
- 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon Old El Paso Taco seasoning
- Toppings: sour cream , tomatoes or salsa, green onions,
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Unroll the crescent dough and cut each triangle into 3 triangles. Place 1/4 square of cheddar cheese and one cocktail frank on the wide end of each triangle. Roll up to the small end and place seam side down on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with all of the dough.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter and taco seasoning. Brush mixture over the pigs in a blanket.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately and let each guest add their own toppings.
Consider doubling this recipe because they go quickly!
If you don't have crescent dough, pizza dough or biscuit dough works well too!