State Fair Subs
These State Fair Subs are filled with sausage and seasoned bread cubes and topped with cheese. They get all toasty are great for serving a crowd! This isn’t just fair food!
STATE FAIR SUBS
Thank you for all of your texts and emails about Hurricane Matthew. Fortunately for us here in South Florida it kept offshore and we were not impacted like we were supposed to be. Please continue to pray for those in Haiti where the destruction was devastating as well as our friends up north.
Preparing for a hurricane shows how differently we all react to situations. There are those that overprepare (us), tying down everything in sight, enough water, gas, and food for my whole neighborhood, and shutters up. Then there are those who have lived here (Florida) their whole lives and have been through this situation so many times that they know rarely does the hurricane actually hit. My kids were actually the ones frustrated that we spent so much time preparing. I mean it’s hard work. We were deconstructing playsets, swings, moving boats…we were exhausted yesterday. But hindsight is 20/20. What if it had taken a turn in our direction? We are grateful that we were spared.
On a much lighter note, when I think of recipes that are feed a crowd and are easy, this is it. I mean you can’t really go wrong with toasty french bread filled with sausage and stuffing.
Start by browning your sausage and onion.
Add your seasoned bread cubes and top with cheese. Wrap in foil and bake until nice and toasty!
Yeahhhh. You see what I’m talking about.
So you really don’t need to dip them in anything. It doesn’t need it. Some of my kids think they are good with marinara but keep in mind they also think Cheetos is a complete meal. If warm toasted bread is your thing, you’ll love this Artichoke Bread too.
OTHER SANDWICH RECIPES
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Caesar Chicken Sandwiches
- Root Beer Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- South of the Border Sandwiches
State Fair Subs
These State Fair Subs are filled with sausage and seasoned bread cubes and topped with cheese. They get all toasty are great for serving a crowd! This isn't just fair food!
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) French bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- (optional) marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400° .
- Cut bread in half lengthwise; carefully hollow out top and bottom of loaf, leaving a 1-in. shell. Cube the bread removed into 1-inch cubes. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk, pepper and salt. Add bread cubes and toss to coat; set aside.
- In a medium skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until brown until meat is browned; drain. Add to the bread mixture. Spoon filling into bread shells; sprinkle with cheese. wrap each loaf in foil. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into serving-size slices.
Source: Taste of Home