POT ROAST RECIPE
Pot roast is Sunday dinner at its best. Throw it in a crockpot or Instant Pot and walk away.
My version has evolved over the years. It used to be a chuck roast, cream of mushroom soup, some veggies, and you’re done. Now, I use a few spices but believe me it’s worth it.
WHAT KIND OF MEAT TO USE
For this recipe, chuck roast is the cut of meat you want to use. You can use rump roast but it’s not as tender.
FRESH VS DRIED HERBS
Fresh herbs are best but if you can’t get fresh herbs you can use dried in a pinch.
WHAT KIND OF POTATOES DO YOU USE?
I like to use Yukon gold potatoes because you don’t have to peel them. They’re buttery in texture and yummy!
OTHER DINNER RECIPES
- 3-5 lb chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into big chunks
- 1 lb carrots cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 springs thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups reserved broth from roast
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
- Pat roast dry and season well with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown roast on both sides for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Pour the beef broth, Worchestershire sauce, and tomato paste in the bottom of a slow cooker. Whisk together. Add the roast and top with potatoes, onion, carrots, garlic, rosemary, and thyme. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or under roast is tender. Serve with gravy (instructions below).
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS:
- Pat roast dry and season well with salt and pepper.
- Using the Saute button heat the olive oil and brown roast on both sides for 2-3 es. Remove from the pot.
- Pour the beef broth, Worchestershire sauce, and tomato paste in the bottom of the pot. Whisk together. Add the roast and top with potatoes, onion, carrots, garlic, rosemary, and thyme.
- Cook on high pressure, making sure to seal, for 1 hour. Let pressure naturally release. Serve with gravy (instructions below).
- In a small pot, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowing whisk in 2 cups of broth from the roast pot. Simmer for a few minutes until mixture thickens. Add more broth if you want it thinner. Add salt to taste.