Bananas Foster French Toast
This Baked Bananas Foster French Toast – brown sugar, bananas, and pecans in this decadent breakfast recipe. This recipe can be made a day ahead. If you love breakfast recipes, this Baked Bananas Foster French Toast is a tried and true easy favorite just like this Blueberry Croissant Puff and these French Toast Roll Ups.
BANANAS FOSTER FRENCH TOAST
My mother turns eighty this week! Eighty! That’s crazy right? For those of you who know her she’s a spry and energetic woman who does not look her age. I’m her tenth and favorite (haha) child. She has created a legacy: family, tradition, spirituality – all those things she has taught us.
One of our traditions growing up was on birthdays we would bring breakfast in bed to whoever had a birthday. We would gather in the hallway outside and march in singing “Happy Birthday” each holding a piece of fruit with a lit candle in it.
Then, we would go around the room and say something nice about the birthday person blowing out our candle when we finished.
When I made this Bananas Foster French Toast for the umpteenth time to get it right, I thought, “Ooh, I should make this for my mom!”
French bread soaked in a cinnamon mixture with a brown sugar, pecan, banana topping. Or bottom? It’s actually on the bottom but you invert the baking dish before serving.
Although I know some Bananas Foster has rum or rum extract in it, this one does not but you could add some if you wanted. Mom wouldn’t have that.
This is the woman who took a black sharpie to my Britney Spears CD case giving her modest clothes.
Here’s what my mom is known for:
1) Always having a box of See’s chocolate on hand, usually hidden under her bed or in her closet.
2) Keeping her Christmas tree up until February or March every year because she loves the light and happiness it brings
3) If you don’t know where she is, she’s probably praying. In her room or on a rug in the pantry.
4) She eats like a rabbit. Salad, nuts, flax seed, honey, fruit, and a pound of See’s sprinkled in there intermittently.
5) Being the kindest person you’ve ever met. She won’t say or let anything be said negatively about anyone.
Okay, really I could go on forever and you’re like dude, I just want the recipe. I gotcha. If only I had a personal blog still. That died years ago. Thanks for being patient.
You can make this Bananas Foster French Toast four hours before, 12 hours before, or if you’re impatient you can bake it right away and it’ll be fine (but better if you can let it soak).
OTHER BREAKFAST RECIPES
- Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Bake
- Cheesy Baked Eggs
- Strawberry Stuffed French Toast
- Healthy Oatmeal Pancakes
- French Toast Roll-Ups
- Jelly Roll Pancakes
- Confetti Bacon Hash Brown Casserole
- Martha’s Breakfast Casserole
- Blueberry Croissant Puff
- Banana Muffins
- Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Bake
- Fluffy Pancakes
- Overnight French Toast
Baked Bananas Foster French Toast
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 bananas, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 (12 ounce) loaf French bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 6 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, and pecans. Spread mixture into the bottom of the pan. Place the sliced bananas on top of the mixture in an even layer.
- Arrange the French bread slices in an even layer on top. You might have to trim some of the pieces to fit. Fit as many pieces as you can in a single layer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour over the French bread slices. Refrigerate for 4-12 hours (see Note).
- After the French toast has chilled, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. While oven is preheating, take the French toast out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter to come closer to room temperature.
- Bake on the center rack of the oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit for a couple of minutes before inverting on a serving plate. Slice and serve!
Allowing the French Toast bake to chill for a couple of hours or overnight lets the milk mixture soak in completely. To be honest though, when I've been in a hurry I've baked it right away and it's still good.
Bananas Foster often has rum in it but this recipe does not. If you want to add rum extract or rum to the milk mixture you can.