Coconut Lime Swig Cookies – a tropical twist on the classic Swig cookie. If you love Coconut and Lime, you’ll love these!
It’s Father’s Day evening and I’m sitting here staring at some canvas prints of our family that I printed for Father’s Day. Only my first three boys are in the outdated pictures on my walls and my two girls – well they have yet to make it into a family photo on the wall. I mean they’re 4 and 2. I’m only 4 years behind.
So for Father’s Day I thought it would be great to print out some nice canvas pictures for my walls including one of my husband with the boys. The only tiny problem is that they’re WAY too big for my wall. I’m either going to have to totally rearrange my whole house or get really creative. Currently, the pictures are just leaning up against my wall just staring at me like why did you order me if I have nowhere to put me.
And all I can hear is my husband’s voice in my head, “Measure twice. Cut once.” Or in this situation, measure twice – order once.
So you all know how much I love Swig cookies but I really, really wanted to create a Coconut Lime version. Think Dirty Diet Coke meets cookie. And I don’t know why I always try creating new recipes when I’m hosting Bunko, but I do – and these Coconut Lime Swig Cookies were a success! If you love lime and coconut, these are for you. I like them better the second day. The frosting softens the cookie up a bit and the flavor sinks in.
Press it into the middle of the cookie making that ruffled edge. Don’t press too hard. The cookies are supposed to be thick.
|Coconut Lime Swig Cookies|| |
- 5¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tarter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 1¼ cup granulated sugar (plus ¼ cup reserved)
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,
- ½ cup butter
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 2½ teaspoons coconut extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda, cream of tarter, and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, coconut oil, sugar (1¼ cups), and powdered sugar.
- Stir in the 2 tablespoons lime juice, 2 teaspoons lime zest, and 1 teaspoon coconut extract. Mix in eggs.
- Slowly add in flour mixture until combined. Roll the dough into golf sized balls and place onto a non stick cookie sheet or use a parchment line sheet.
- To give the cookies their signature rough edge, dip the bottom of a glass into the reserved ¼ cup sugar and press
- onto the cookie ball to flatten the cookie. You still want the cookie to be thicker so don't press them too thin.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the bottom is lightly brown. The tops will not brown. The cookies stay soft so do not over bake. Cool completely.
- To make the coconut lime cream cheese frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter, lime juice, lime zest, 2¼ teaspoons coconut extract, and vanilla together until smooth and fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar. Beat until creamy. Frost the center of each cookie. Garnish with additional lime zest if desired.
- Swig keeps their cookies in the fridge. This isn't necessary. In fact, I like mine at room temperature. These are better the next day when the frosting has softened the cookie.