These On-the-Go Breakfast Muffins are great for those busy mornings you’re running out the door. They are filled with sausage and eggs but can also be made with bacon or whatever fillings you like.
My house is Grand Central Station right now. In the last week we’ve had the roofers, power washers, and painters at our house – sometimes overlapping. My windows are covered in plastic and my backyard is in disarray. They’re constantly knocking on the door asking questions that usually only my husband knows (he’s in class getting his Master’s). It’s a full time job making sure that everyone is appropriately dressed (including myself) when they knock at the door. And I’m pretty sure they think I’m running a daycare. I think they would be very surprised to find out that most of the kids running in the house are mine and the others are permanent fixture purely for the accessible baked goods. Oh, and they just started painting and painted the whole back wall…the WRONG COLOR. Not a little off. Like way off. Instead of Sensational Sand they painted it Hunter Green. Big oops. So it looks like the craziness will continue into this week. Which is why I’m making my life easier by making some of these breakfast muffins ahead of time. Just think of muffins with scrambled eggs inside along with sausage and cheese. Pop them in the microwave for a quick on-the-go breakfast. Yum.
|On-the-Go Breakfast Muffins|| |
- 1 pound hot or Italian ground sausage
- 7 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup canola or vegetable
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°. Grease or line muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble sausage until done. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Wipe skillet clean.
- In a small bowl, whisk five eggs. Pour into same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and no liquid egg remains. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk remaining eggs, milk and oil until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in 1 cup of cheese, sausage and scrambled eggs.
- Fill prepared muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle tops with remaining cheese. Bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
- Make ahead: Make these ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. Pop them in the microwave until warm for a quick on-the-go breakfast.