Cream Cheese French Toast Casserole
This Cream Cheese French Toast Casserole is a warm and cozy breakfast casserole. The perfect recipe for entertaining! It can be made ahead of time and popped in the oven. It has layers of diced French bread and cream cheese. It’s topped with a brown sugar and cinnamon mixture.
CREAM CHEESE FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
I’ve already mentioned several times that I’m not a morning person. So when I have company staying with me and want to feed them my best bet is to have something that can be prepared the night before.
The other thing…I don’t like people watching me cook. I think it’s because I’m self conscious that they’re judging my technique or making sure that I’m washing my hands.
Probably because when I’m in the kitchen I’m very aware of who is washing their hands and who isn’t. I wash my hands a billion times. I’m known as the hand washing Nazi. Just now I paused to yell, “Did you wash your hands?” to my son.
I’ve got problems. If you’re in my kitchen I’ve probably asked you if you’ve washed your hands…if you’re related to me. Non-relatives I tend to leave alone. 🙂
This Cream Cheese Cinnamon Casserole dish starts out with cubed bread.Next add half of your cream cheese cubes. It helps if your cream cheese is really cold or even frozen but however you get it on there doesn’t matter; it’ll taste the same. Repeat the layers. Add your egg mixture on top. You should let this soak in for a couple of hours or overnight. I’ve baked it immediately because I didn’t have time and it turned out great but it’s best to let it soak in. Next sprinkle your cinnamon mixture on top. I use “sprinkle” loosely because the mixture is more like wet sand so you’re more like adding little pieces of the crumble all over the top.
This is what it looks like when it’s baked.
Look at those pieces of cream cheese peeking out.
OTHER BREAKFAST RECIPES:
- Classic French Toast
- Crockpot French Toast
- Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Bake
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
- Cinnabon Cinnamon Roll Copycat
- Cheesy Baked Eggs
- Breakfast Pizzas
- Confetti Bacon Hash Brown Casserole
- Soft Cinnamon Rolls
- Fluffy Pancakes
Cream Cheese French Toast Casserole
- 1 lb French bread, cubed, (or 6 diced English muffins)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, cold
- (Optional): powdered sugar and cinnamon for topping, maple syrup for drizzling
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Place ½ of the bread cubes in the 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle ½ of the cream cheese cubes on top. Layer the remaining bread cubes on top and sprinkle with the rest of the cream cheese cubes. It won't look like enough to fill the pan but it will.
- In a medium bowl, add the eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla. Whisk together until combined. Pour over the muffin and cream cheese mixture.
- Allow mixture to refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Note- I’ve also baked this without chilling and it’s fine but chilling is best so that the muffins can soak up the liquid.
- After the casserole has chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove casserole from the fridge while the oven is preheating.
- While the oven is preheating, make the Cinnamon Crumble. In a food processor, place the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and butter. Process the mixture until it comes together. You can also cut the butter into the mixture with a fork if you don’t have a food processor. The crumble will be the texture of wet sand.
- Sprinkle pieces of the crumble evenly all over the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until middle is done. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and cinnamon and serve with maple syrup if desired. Refrigerate leftovers and heat up as needed.