A warm bacon cheese dip that can be prepared in minutes and is a crowd pleaser. Bring it over to a friend’s house to watch the game and it will be the first thing to go.
What I love about football food is that no one judges it.
It doesn’t have to be pretty. Hands are the preferred utensil. And you don’t find people standing around the food table mentally calculating calories and serving sizes. It’s just about down and dirty, full of flavor food.
This Warm Bacon Cheese Dip is just that. Nothing in this world can beat soft sourdough bread scooping up warm creamy dip filled with bacon and cheese. I mean really. Beat that. Tonight kicks off the first game of the NFL season and this seemed to fit the bill perfectly. My family claimed it as an instant favorite. It spends an hour in the oven, gently warming up and teasing your tastebuds with its aroma. The bread gets slightly toasted and the dip gets cheesy and warm.
This dip has bacon, onions, cheese, and is seasoned perfectly.
Hollow out a sourdough round saving the inside pieces to use for dipping. Please use sourdough. The texture and taste just can’t be beat by anything else. Fill the bread with your creamy mixture, wrap in heavy duty foil and bake on a low heat for an hour.
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) sourdough bread
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- Assorted crackers for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Cut the top fourth off the loaf of bread. Hollow out the bread leaving a 1-inch shell. Slice the removed bread into cubes and save for dipping.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add the sour cream, cheddar cheese and Worcestershire sauce until blended; stir in bacon and onions.
- Spoon the mixture into the hollowed out bread. into bread shell. Wrap the bread in heavy duty foil and bake for 1 hour or until heated through. Unwrap and give the dip a stir if needed. Serve with crackers and reserved bread cubes.
- Read more: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/warm-bacon-cheese-spread#ixzz3CP7t7Twu