This recipe for baked beans is hearty and thick. Bring these to your next potluck and everyone will agree that these are the best baked beans.
Baked beans have never been something that I have to have. I have one recipe on this blog for baked beans and it’s my friend Heidi’s Famous Baked Beans. They’re fabulous which is why I didn’t feel the need to ever look for another recipe. Everyone that makes them, loves them. Heidi’s recipe however doesn’t have beef in it, so I feel like there’s also room for this recipe which has a whopping pound and a half of savory beef. The sauce is a mixture of ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire, soy sauce, and spicy brown mustard. The sauce blends beautifully in the oven, simmering away for 45 minutes. Add this to your Fourth of July menu!
|The Best Baked Beans|| |
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 (16-oz) cans pork and beans
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 to 8 slices bacon, cut into pieces and cooked
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan brown the ground beef. When beef is about halfway done add the onions and bell peppers. Continue to cook until beef is done and the veggies are soft. Drain meat mixture.
- Add the pork and beans, barbecue sauce, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and brown sugar to the mixture. Simmer mixture for 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the bacon pieces over the top of the casserole. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes. Let dish sit for 10 minutes before serving.