Taco Lasagna

This Taco Lasagna is so easy and freezes well. Only 7 ingredients!

I was talking to my sister on the phone the other day and she said, “Geez. You’re such a Pinterest mom.” Her comment spawned from the fact that I had Super Glued some quarters on our sidewalk for April Fool’s Day. Umm…pretty sure that wasn’t on Pinterest. And I can’t say it was just for the kids because I enjoyed every second of watching people try to pick them up.

Oh and I put salt in their toothbrushes. Which turns out backfired completely because now they never want to brush their teeth. I love the ideas that flow on Pinterest but if an idea takes more than 10 minutes…20 max, I’m out. So if you want to call me a Pinterest mom then you’re right. I’m a 10 minute Pinterest mom. I’ve found that my kids really appreciate the small little things that make the holidays fun and it doesn’t have to be elaborate.

I cannot leave the grocery store without forgetting at least one thing on my list. I’ll even remember after I’ve loaded all of the kids in the car and can’t bring myself to go back in. Simple recipes are the only way to go for me. I made a huge feast for Cinco De Mayo last year and my family looked at me like I was crazy. So I might stick to something easy like this this year.
Taco Lasagna - only 7 ingredients. So easy! the-girl-who-ate-everything.com

This taco lasagna could not be more simple. I was skeptical that with such few ingredients that the flavor would be good but it came together nicely. Unlike other Mexican lasagnas that use tortillas, this one actually uses lasagna noodles making it a true lasagna. I like the one with tortillas too but to me those are called layered enchiladas.ricotta

Mix a little ricotta with an egg for your lasagna-ness.

QB2A0417Start by layering 4 lasagna noodles. You can boil the noodles or use the no-boil noodles like I did. There’s a fine line between lazy and efficient and I like dancing on it.

QB2A0419Spread your ricotta mixture over the noodles.

QB2A0421Sprinkle a layer of taco meat on top.

QB2A0423The sauce in this lasagna is your favorite salsa. QB2A0424Sprinkle a good helping of cheese on top. Then repeat the layers twice. See! So easy.

Taco Lasagna - only 7 ingredients. So easy! the-girl-who-ate-everything.com

Another great thing about this lasagna is that it freezes great!

Taco Lasagna

Ingredients
  • 12 oven ready lasagna noodles (see note)
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 (1-oz.) package Old El Paso taco seasoning
  • 1 egg
  • 1 (15-oz.) carton ricotta cheese
  • 4 cups (1 lb.) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 (24-oz.) jar chunky salsa
  • Optional toppings: sour cream, green onions, diced tomatoes
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large skillet, brown beef until no longer pink. Drain meat and add the taco seasoning. Stir until combined and set aside.
  3. In a small bowl, add the egg and ricotta and stir until combined.
  4. In a 9x13 baking dish, start by layering 4 lasagna noodles on the bottom of the pan. Next, layer ⅓ of the ricotta, ⅓ of the beef mixture, ⅓ of the salsa, and ⅓ of the cheese. Repeat the layers 2 more times.
  5. Bake covered for 30-40 minutes or until the casserole has heated through and is bubbly. Let casserole stand 10 minutes before cutting. Top with sour cream, sliced green onions, and diced tomatoes if desired.
Notes
I use oven ready or no-boil lasagna noodles to save time. You can use regular noodles as well, just boil them before assembling.

Freezing: This freezes great! To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator for 8 hours and then bake as directed.

Source: adapted from Taste of Home

Speak Your Mind

Comments

1. I love taco lasagna, but I make mine with tortillas instead of lasagna noodles and refried beans instead of ricotta. A round dish works best, but you can halve the tortillas and overlap them for a square or rectangular.

2. This looks so good Christy! I totally would have been That Person trying to get the quarter, haha!

3. This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it! I’ve never seen lasagna noodles that look like that. Is it because they are no-boil? Also, I usually make my regular lasagna in a crock-pot, I wonder if that method would work for this taco version?

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

Yes, it’s because they’re no boil. I have a crockpot lasagna too and this will definitely work in the crockpot.

4. Oh this looks so good! I love a big hearty casserole. And I love Mexican food. This is perfect!

5. I just following your blog. You really do come up with some winning recipes that are quick. Lasagna and tacos—-two never to fail please recipes made into one. A double whammy winner. Nice job.

6. This looks great and I especially love that it can be frozen! I would to ally love watching people try to pick up that quarter too! But, I must admit I have been the victim of this joke before too!

7. Pete (female) says:

Can you post the Crockpot Lasagna. Sounds good and easy

8. This is totally my kind of dish! It looks great!

9. This looks amazing!! I’m having the hub go pick up supplies as I write this. Though I have most of the items. My family loves lasagna and mexican so this will be a perfect match. Also, your eclair cake!! Oh my goodness. Just perfect for my son who loves eclairs. Your recipes always look so delicious and even better, easy to make. I’m not one for complicated cooking and your recipes are very user friendly.
    Thank you for all the work you do to bring us such great food.
    Deb M.

10. Question: Years ago, my mother’s friend made a casserole that was shredded chicken (and other things) rolled in flour torillas, topped with I’m thinking Cream of Chicken soup, sour cream and avocado. It was incredible but as you can see I don’t have the recipe. I’ve search the internet but can’t find the right combo of soup/cheese/chicken. Have you or any of your readers ever come across a casserole like this?

Thanks.
    Deb M.

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

Deb,
      Oh man. There are so many versions out there. I looked on Pinterest and found so many versions but I’m not sure which one you’re looking for…

• Christy,
        I’ll go through PinInterest aghain. I found one that was close. I’m going to try your Taco Lasagna first. It got the most enthusiastic votes in my house. It’s the weekend and often don’t get around to formal meals. We had pasta salad tonight with bowtie pasta, cucumber, kalamata olives, mini-peppers, crumbled feta cheese and grape tom. Used an Italian tuscan dressing and it was delicious.

Thanks again for providing such an enjoyable website. : )
        Deb

• @ Deb – I know I’m super late, (LOL!) but I just saw your post and it kind of sounds like the chicken and cheese enchilada recipe that Campbell’s puts out. I know it’s not a casserole, per se, but it sounds pretty close to what you’re looking for.

I hope this helps!

@ Christy – Thank you so much for the amazing recipe. Made it tonight and, as promised, it was SUPER easy, super fast and DELICIOUS! Your directions were really easy to follow and the pictures of each step was really helpful too.

Thanks again!! 🙂

11. I love that you made this with lasagna noodles instead of tortillas. For some reason I have shied away from making mexican lasagna because every recipe uses tortillas and I don’t like the idea of them being soggy. And after making mexican stuffed shells I know I would love this!

12. Made this for dinner last night and it was a hit! I always try your recipes because I’ve had great luck with them – they are easy to follow, tasty and they haven’t failed me yet! Thanks for sharing all of these great dishes and deserts!!

13. I just have to chime it too. I love your recipes — always so tasty and easy to make. Thank you for your efforts and sharing your passion. I am a better cook since i started following your blog!

14. I am going to make this for work next week. I work for a fire department, so cooking for the guys can be daunting. It sounds so good, and looks so easy!

15. This looks great nad easy!

16. I made this for dinner tonight and not only was it super simple and easy to put together but really delicious! Using lasagna noodles instead of tortillas is genius.
    My 15 year old son had 4 servings!
    Thanks for this great recipe and a terrific blog.

17. Kids, schmids. This looks so good, I want to eat the whole thing. I can’t wait to try it.

18. This looks a great and it’s in my oven baking as we speak! 🙂 Thanks for the recipe!

19. Adalie Gossman says:

I found this recipe on Pinterest a few days ago. I made it tonight for my family to celebrate Cinco De Mayo. It was excellent!!! Everyone loved it. Even my two young children. Thank you for sharing such, a wonderful recipe! It’s definitely a do again in our house.

20. Enjoyed this! Similar to your Mexican Stuffed Shells but easier and love that it’s freezer friendly. The only change I made was skipping the ricotta and dumping a can of refried beans in with the taco meat to warm and then spread the mixture across the noodles. Love your recipes!

21. I made this and loved it! So did my hubby. Super easy and very yummy. Will definitely make it again.

22. In love with this, a perfect dinner to me!

23. Hi Christy, I just saw your recipe for Taco Lasagna and it looks delicious and I am going to fix this next week, when everyone is off and can enjoy it together. I do have a question, when you add the taco seasoning mix to the beef, do add water with it? In the picture it doesn’t look like it, but I just want to make sure so I don’t screw it up. Thanks so much and can’t wait to try this and many more of your recipes. 🙂

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

You don’t add water with it. You could add about 1/4 cup if you wanted to so that the mixture isn’t dry and that shouldn’t change the consistency.

24. I made this tonight and it was excellent. I added three tablespoons of fresh cilantro as I love this flavour in Mexican dishes. With the taco seasoning you will find there is a “Kick” to this version but it is not too much.

25. Do you cook the casserole before you freeze?

26. I made this today and it was very good. I was afraid it would not have enough moisture to cook the noodles so I used two jars salsa, 15.5 oz each, instead of the 24 oz. Then I covered it with foil but not tightly.

27. Bertha L. Ardon says:

I tried making this today and baked uncovered for 30-40 minutes. My noodles didn’t cook. I used oven ready lasagna noodles. Got to admit disappointed.

28. You don’t have to cook noodles at all! Just put Lasagna together early in the day keep in fridge bake just before dinner. Great!

29. Quisiera recibir muestras gratis y asi poder probar su producto
    Carmen Saldana
    Calle 7 H 4
    Urb. Villa Cooperativa
    Carolina PR 00985

gracias anticipadas

30. How long can this stay frozen for? Looks yummy!

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

I’m not a food expert but I would be comfortable freezing it for a month. I’m sure you could freeze it longer.

31. Made this tonight and it was delicious! I added maybe 1/4 cup water to the meat so it wouldn’t be too dry. Next time I will add a layer of salsa to the bottom of the pan or on top of the first layer. Unfortunately, my no-cook noodles were crunchy on the bottom. Also, your ingredient list is missing the egg.

32. I made this for dinner tonight and it was very good. I am a busy single mom of four girls and recipes like this are just ideal. Thank you!

33. I made this for dinner last night. Yum! So delicious and so easy! Thanks for sharing!

34. After 45 mins in the oven the noodles are still not cooked through (I used your suggestion of oven-ready noodles). I used the amount of salsa noted in your recipe. I have used oven-ready noodles many times and should have known better, the 24 oz of salsa was not enough and the casserole should be covered initially, perhaps most of the cooking time, and removed the last 10 minutes. If it’s a hit, I will use regular lasagna noodles next time.

35. Hi I love your recipes! I was wondering if I could substitute taco sauce for salsa? I really don’t like salsa:( what do you think? Could you guess how much? Thanks so much

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

The salsa gives the moisture to help cook the noodles so I’m afraid with less taco sauce they might not cook through.

36. I don’t have ricotta cheese. I have cottage cheese. think it would work? Live out in the country,don’t get into town to shop that much.

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

Shoot. They definitely have a different consistency but I love cottage cheese in dishes like this so I think it might work. I can’t be sure though until I’ve tried it.

• Put the cottage cheese in the food processor, then it should work

37. hi..just a question about the no boil noodles…I have used them in the past for regular lasagna but you need to have quite a bit of sauce to re hydrate them..what gives them the moisture in this recipe and is just from the salsa enough?

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

The salsa was enough for me. You can add more if you’re nervous about it or use regular boiled lasagna noodles.

38. Can’t wait to try this sounds really good!!! Thanks for the recipe!

39. Has anyone tried making this the day before and then baking it the next day?

40. Am I the only one who had trouble with the noodles?? They’re oven ready lasgna noodles, I just had it in the oven for 30 minutes (at 350) and they’re still hard. It smells SO GOOD and I’m starving! 🙁 Ahh!

41. I made this recipe last week for Nurse’s week and it was so GOOD that it was gone before the end of the party! It was also such a hit that I made it tonight for my son and we barely have any leftovers… This will be a frequent dish! Thank you!

42. I just made this and it turned out so yummy!!!

43. We LOVE this recipe!!! It’s amazing and comes out perfect every time! Thank you for this Mexican Italian Fusion !!! We even found whole wheat lasagna noodles and still tastes great!

Admiring fans,
    Alexi at PicTricks

44. This was delicious, thank you!

45. Shirley Corelli says:

If I wanted to make this the night before, would it be okay to stick in the fridge and bake the next day or should I bake it the same night I make it. Thanks.

46. I gotta tell you these ads are more then a passing irritant. Boy Howdy I understand about creating a cash flow but this was beyond annoying on every picture and not going away with one click.

47. I’m so hungry now! This sounds so good! But you can use regular lasagna noodles,not cooked. You don’t need No Bake noodle…you just need enough salsa cuz it gets all bubbly so the noodles will be soft. If you don’t like ricotta cheese use cottage cheese. It’s great!!!

~Vanessa W

48. This recipe looks amazing and I can’t wait to try it. I read through the comments and noticed a lot of the readers commented on their no bake noodles not cooking all the way through and the other comments about adding more salsa and or a 1/4 cup liquid to the taco meat seasoning.. It is always helpful to read through the comments so I can see what works and what doesn’t for other cooks.. Personally I think I am going to try mixing my salsa with a bit of red enchilada sauce to give it more of the yummy adobo taste.. I have two picky eaters in our house.. my 27yo son and my husband so I will let you know if it is a hit… 😀 Thank you so much for all the yummy recipes, you make my time in the kitchen so much more enjoyable as I try new recipes.

• How did the recipe turnout with the enchilada sauce? I am thinking I will try it that way as well. When I make regular lasagna I don’t pre-cook the noodles, I put them in dry and use cottage cheese instead of ricotta and it turns out perfect. Hoping if I use enchilada sauce with the salsa, refried beans instead of ricotta and add the water to the meat, I will be ok with putting the noddles in dry.

49. I want to try this recipe but my family consists of nine people and I need to know how many servings it makes. Please let me know.

50. Hi Christy! I am about to make this recipe for my family this week…Do you just add the taco seasoning and not the water to it? Can’t wait to try it!

51. Is it ok that I substituted sour cream in place of ricotta?

52. I just finished making this and thought it tasted AWESOME! However, I used the oven ready lasagna noodles and they were barely cooked. They were still pretty hard even after putting it back in the oven for an additional 20 minutes. Everything else though, I wouldn’t change a thing!!

53. I just made this to cook for tonight’s dinner. Thank you for taking the time to share. After mixing the ricotta and egg I was thinking you could add a bit of canned green chilies to the ricotta/egg mix and really hit this one out of the park.

54. how do you freeze it? in the baking dish or Tupperware? any ideas?

55. This looks amazing! I am always trying to find new fun twists on things so this looks right up my ally! However I am only cooking for 2 so I would like to cut this in half. I have half a 15oz container of ricotta, but this calls for 1 whole egg. Should I whisk the egg and then add half to the ricotta? Would that make scrambled eggs with ricotta cheese? Or should I just add the whole egg with the ricotta I have left. Thanks for your help!

56. I used the bag offour cheese mexican mix from the cheese aisle. It came out delicious. Definitely going in my recipe book. Yummy!

57. this looks delicious

58. Dan (Nicesunglasses) says:

So I just started cooking since my wife has late days on Monday (my day now) and she loves to cook. My idea of cooking, until recently, was either ordering pizza (what…its work) or adding tuna to Mac and cheese and calling it a casserole. I have now done 5 Monday’s in a row and this one was her favorite. Even forgetting to cover (lol) it was still wonderful. Thanks for all these easy and good recipes guys!

59. My husband and I made this last night for dinner and it turned out great! We both really liked it and will be adding it to our dinner rotation for sure. I’m wondering if you have nutritional values or Weight Watcher’s Smart Points values by chance??

60. This is a simple and tasty main dish. It came together easily and tastes great. Followed your directions exactly but didn’t have the correct amount of salsa without a trip to the store so I rounded out the salsa with a can of Rotel. My husband loved it and so did I thank you for a wonderful dinner!