This Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup is a comforting and easy meal for any night of the week.
Last week my friend told me she was coming over with Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup. I couldn’t stop thinking about the soup until she came. If you’ve ever been pregnant you know food triggers know no patience. Even though the same food may sound gross in two hours, all you know is that at THAT moment you want that certain food…and you want it now.
I decided to recreate it for my family a couple of days later because I loved all of the flavors so much.
One thing I did learn is that if you don’t plan on eating it right away you should cook the orzo separately and add it later. The picture above is when I first made it and tasted it.
The picture below is what it looked like after piano lessons while I let it simmer for an hour. The orzo soaks up all of the liquid. So unless you want a stew, eat it right away or add the orzo later. I just added a little more chicken stock to thin it out.
|Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup|| |
- 9 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⅓ cups carrots, chopped
- 1⅓ cups onions, chopped finely
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2½ teaspoons lemon peel, grated
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 rotisserie-cooked chicken, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 8 ounces orzo pasta, uncooked (about 1½ cups)
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, coarsely cracked (optional)
- ¼ cup romano cheese, grated (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or large pot.
- Add the carrot, onion, celery, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, lemon zest and salt. Saute ingredients over medium heat until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the chicken stock and lemon juice. Bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken and orzo. Simmer until orzo is cooked through. (see Note not serving soup right away)
- Just before serving add parsley and remove bay leaf. Garnish with salt and black pepper if needed and Romano cheese if desired.
Source: slightly adapted from Food.com