Let me start off by saying eating healthy is absolutely no fun. Except for the getting skinnier part…that’s fun. Right now everyone is looking for healthy recipes and all I want to do is make the ten Super Bowl recipes I’ve been gawking at. These Buffalo Wing Turkey Lettuce Wraps are my compromise between eating healthy and diving head first into some cheesy gooey dip.
Why does it seem so much easier for guys to lose weight? Last year my husband and I both ate the same healthy food and both were doing P90x every day. He trimmed down and had a six pack and the only six pack I had was the Diet Dr. Pepper in my pantry. I swear he takes some magic pill that melts fat while I’m sleeping. Don’t worry…if I ever find out I will let you know.
And just so you know he does not like to be called skinny. He said that would be the same as him calling me fat.
Trim. Trim is his goal.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- ½ cup onion, diced finely
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¾ cup carrot shavings (use a vegetable peeler to make shavings)
- 1 cup celery, sliced thinly
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, leaves removed to form cups
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup Frank's Red Hot Buffalo wing sauce
- Blue cheese crumbles or blue cheese dressing to drizzle over the top (see Note)
- In a large skillet, saute the onions over medium heat until soft (3-4 minutes). Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add ground turkey, season with a dash of salt and pepper, brown meat and cook until cooked through. Drain any grease if necessary.
- Return meat to pan and stir in the wing sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Prepare lettuce cups. Place spoonful of meat into lettuce cup, top with a few carrot shavings and chopped celery. Sprinkle with some blue cheese crumbles and/or dressing. Wrap up and start eating!
Note: I used some blue cheese crumbles and a tablespoon of Litehouse Bleu Cheese Vinaigrette just like my SIL, but don't feel like you have to have the dressing to make these...they are good with just the crumbles too.
barely adapted from Sweet Treats and More