These Root Beer Pulled Pork Sandwiches are made from only 3 ingredients and are great for feeding a crowd.
I don’t know what world I’ve been living in but apparently everyone in the world has a recipe for a go-to pulled pork sandwich besides me. Kind of like when I was dating my husband and he mentioned the movie Goonies and found out that I had never seen it. “What?”…”What world did you grow up in?” Am I the only person that didn’t see that movie in my childhood?
Anyway, there are only 3 ingredients to these super simple pork sandwiches. And if you don’t have a recipe for pulled pork sandwiches, this is the one for you. The pork is cooked in root beer all day long. You could use any flavor of soda really like Dr.Pepper or Coke but I prefer root beer. The root beer acts as a tenderizer and after soaking in it all day, the pork practically melts in your mouth. After cooking, drain the root beer and add your favorite BBQ sauce to the shredded meat. I used a pork tenderloin here but you could use a pork shoulder or butt which have more flavor but also more fat to pick out.
- 1 (2 pound) pork shoulder or butt (tenderloin can be used for a leaner option)
- 1 (12 ounce) can of root beer
- 1 (18 ounce) bottle of barbecue sauce
- 8 hamburger buns
- Place the pork in a slow cooker and pour the can of root beer over the meat. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until pork shreds easily with a fork.
- After pork has cooked, drain and discard the root beer. Shred the pork and place it back in the slow cooker. Pour the barbecue sauce over the pork and stir to combine. Serve immediately or keep warm in slow cooker until ready to serve. Serve on hamburger buns.