Today I battled the crowds at Target looking for last minute items for my kid’s Easter baskets. I didn’t end up with much but still felt successful. Because in a world with a lot of “stuff”, I’ve been trying to simplify. And kids really don’t need a lot to be happy. I guess I want to set the expectations low so they are appreciative when they do receive things. I’m trying to teach them what Easter is really about anyway.
AND I treated myself to a few somethings. Mmm…hmm…that’s right. Momma went shopping. Okay…maybe I threw a couple of shirts in the cart at Target and hoped they would fit when I got home. And they did! That’s Shopping 101 ladies.
This Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole was sent to me by friend Wendy who found them on an old cut out recipe from Gooseberry Patch in her files. They were so good and a different alternative to Gooey Potatoes. They are creamy, savory, and just like eating a loaded baked potato. Or in this case 7 loaded baked potatoes.
- 5½ cups mashed potatoes (around 6-7 large baking potatoes)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 slices bacon crispy cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Peel, quarter, and boil potatoes for 15-20 minutes or until soft. Drain potatoes and and beat with a mixer until smooth. Add milk, cream cheese, sour cream, parsley, garlic salt, and nutmeg. Beat at a medium-high speed until nice and creamy. Add salt to taste keeping in mind that the cheese and bacon will add a little salt later.
- Spoon into a 9x13 baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Top with cheddar cheese and bacon. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serves 12 people.