Whipped cream can be made in five minutes with this easy homemade recipe! Only 3 ingredients are needed here: heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla. I’ve included tips to make sure you are successful. This recipe takes any dessert to the next level.
WHIPPED CREAM RECIPE
I know a whipped cream recipe isn’t rocket science, but to some of us, ahem, it is. Growing up my mom would pick up my friends and I up from school and have a bowl of strawberries and cream in the car ready for us to eat. We loved it. Even in 100 degree weather with the cream melting.
I then tried making homemade whipped cream when I was older and I somehow screwed it up every single time. Either it just wouldn’t whip up or I overwhipped it. Using fresh cream in your desserts transforms them from good to unbelievable. I just made this Eclair Cake with this recipe and it added so much!
- Heavy Cream – creates a sturdier result. Regular cream can be used but is not as good as heavy whipping cream.
- Powdered Sugar – tends to dissolve better and has starch in it which helps stabilize the cream so it lasts longer. Granulated sugar can be used in place in an equal ratio as a substitute.
- Vanilla – real vanilla is always best.
HOW TO MAKE WHIPPED CREAM
- Place cream and sugar in a chilled mixing bowl and mix on high for 1-2 minutes. Add the vanilla and beat for an additional 1-2 minutes or until soft peaks have formed. Don’t whip too much! Refrigerate until using.
Here are a couple of tips to make sure you have perfect whipped cream:
- Chill your bowl and beaters in the freezer for 10 minutes or so. It really helps the cream whip up fast.
- Don’t overwhip your cream. There’s about 30 seconds there when your cream will go from soft peaks to thick and butter like. You have to watch closely so that you don’t get the curdly stuff.
- Some dishes need a firmer whipped cream such as layered desserts whereas when used for fresh fruit it can be more of a soft peak.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HEAVY CREAM AND WHIPPING CREAM?
Heavy cream and heavy whipping cream are basically the same and contain at least 36% or more milk fat. Whipping cream, or light whipping cream, is lighter and contains 30% to 35% milk fat. Heavy cream will result in a more stable cream but both can be used in this recipe.
CAN WHIPPED CREAM REPLACE COOL WHIP?
CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM
RECIPES USING WHIPPED CREAM
- Chocolate Brownie Cream Pie
- Strawberry Puff Cake
- Pina Colada Poke Cake
- Lemon Blueberry Trifle
- Lemon Lush
- Watergate Salad
- Snickers Apple Salad
- Strawberry Cheesecake Dip
- Banana Cream Pie
- Banana Split Icebox Cake
Whipped cream can be made in five minutes with this easy homemade recipe! Only 3 ingredients are needed here: heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla. I've included tips to make sure you are successful. This recipe takes any dessert to the next level.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Place cream and sugar in a chilled mixing bowl and mix on high for 1-2 minutes. Add the vanilla and beat for an additional 1-2 minutes or until soft peaks have formed. Don't whip too much! Refrigerate until using.
Source: Heidi Clark
Yield about 2 cups