Pesto Chicken Pillows
CHICKEN PESTO PILLOWS
Trying to manage this back-to-school madness is a full time job in itself. I currently have kids in high school, junior high, and elementary.
The one thing I am very passionate about is family dinner. There are very few times that we are not all at the dinner table. I realize that with activities that too may end soon and that makes me sad.
Part of getting my act together is making easy meals that my family loves. Dinner time is when we talk about our favorite part of the day or the worst so we can help each other out.
People always think that because I blog about food that my own dinners are always extravagant. I’m all about easy people. So when the chaos starts happening, I pull out the big guns.
These Pesto Chicken Pillows have a creamy chicken filling inside a buttery crunchy crescent roll. No one is complaining when these are on the table.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN PESTO PILLOWS
- First, in a medium bowl mix together the cream cheese, chicken, pesto, and green onions.
- Add about 1/3 cup of the mixture into the crescent roll and pinch the seams tight.
- Fill each crescent rectangle with some filling and dip it in butter.
- I like to roll it in Panko crumbs. You could definitely use breadcrumbs here but I like the extra crunch that Panko crumbs give it.
- Next, place the pillows on the prepared baking sheets. I line all of my pans with foil or parchment. It’s not that it’s that necessary, I just like an easier clean up.
- Bake until nice and golden.
WHAT ARE PANKO BREAD CRUMBS?
Panko bread crumbs are Japanese-style bread crumbs made from white bread without the crusts. This makes a light and super crispy coating.
OTHER CHICKEN RECIPES:
- Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Baked Chicken Chimichangas
- One-Pan Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice
- One-Pan Cheesy Chicken Fajita Rice
- One-Pan Monterey Chicken Pasta
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 2 (8 ounce) packages Pillsbury® Crescent Rolls
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. If using foil spray the foil lightly with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl add the cream cheese, pesto, green onions, and chicken. Stir until combined. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Unroll the crescent dough. Take two triangles and press them together to form a rectangle.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of the rectangle and bring the corners of the crescent dough together, pinching to seal.
- Place the Panko crumbs on a plate. Dip each chicken pillow in the melted butter (or brush it on using a pastry brush) and roll it in the Panko crumbs.
- Place the chicken pillows seam side down on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken pillows have turned golden brown.