Easy Pasta Carbonara – pasta, crispy bacon, garlic, eggs, and Parmesan cheese make this Italian dinner taste out of this world. Some carbonara recipes have heavy cream in them but an authentic pasta carbonara recipe does not. This pasta dish can be ready in under 25 minutes.
We moved and I still don’t know where any of my cooking supplies are but I was dying to make a recipe. This recipe I’ve made for years and only has a few ingredients. Five to be exact! My daughter was hovering over me eating it out of the pan as soon as it was finished.
INGREDIENTS IN PASTA CARBONARA
There a simple ingredients in an authentic carbonara. While this is super traditional, the ingredients are very similar.
- Pasta – In traditional carbonara spaghetti is used but any pasta will do! A pound of pasta, any shape or size will work.
- Whole Eggs – you want to stir these into the hot pasta but you don’t want it too hot that they scramble. The egg yolks add a creaminess to the carbonara sauce.
- Parmesan – shredded is the best kind to use here. You can also use grated cheese like Percorino Romano which has a stronger flavor.
- Bacon – Pancetta can also be use here. I like to use a thick-cut bacon.
- Garlic – In my opinion a few cloves of garlic are essential to any good Italian dish.
TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
- Make sure your cooked pasta is hot! The heat of the pasta is what cooks the raw eggs in the cheese mixture. The mixture is removed from the heat so that the eggs don’t get too hot and scramble.
- Reserved hot pasta water is essential to making a silky creamy sauce without cream. Whisk in enough to your desired consistency to make a luxurious sauce.
CAN I HALF THIS RECIPE?
Yes! It can be tricky because there are three eggs in this recipe but do your best. Other than that, it’s totally easy!
OTHER ONE-PAN RECIPES:
- One-Pot Sausage Broccoli Pasta
- Easy Baked Ziti
- One-Pan Chicken and Spinach Orzo
- Sausage and Spinach Pasta
- One-Pan Monterey Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- One-Pan Spinach Artichoke Pasta
- Pizza Pasta Salad
Easy Pasta Carbonara - pasta, bacon, garlic, eggs, and Parmesan cheese make this Italian dinner taste out of this world.
- 1 (lb) dried pasta, any shape or size
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 slices bacon, cut into small pieces (about 6-8 ounces)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- (optional) chopped parsley or basil for garnish
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente according to package directions, about 8-10 minutes. Prepare sauce while the pasta cooks so that the pasta is hot. Drain pasta and reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water for the sauce.
For the sauce: In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and Parmesan cheese. Add some ground black pepper (about 1/4 teaspoon or more if you like pepper).
In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crispy. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute over medium-high heat. You do not need to drain the bacon grease but can drain some of it if you have a ton . Remove from the heat.
Quickly stir in the cooked and drained pasta into the bacon mixture. Stir in the egg mixture. The pasta should be hot enough to cook the eggs but not too hot so that they start to scramble. Whisk in the cup of the reserved pasta water a little at a time to the desired consistency you want for the sauce.
Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with additional cheese. Garnish with chopped parsley or basil if desired.