Mississippi Mud Brownies
There are lots of recipes for Mississippi Mud Brownies out there but this one is perfection. Moist brownies topped with marshmallows and a rich chocolate ganache. Everyone asks for this bar recipe when I make these.
MISSISSIPPI MUD BROWNIES
(Originally posted 2015)
I just returned from a week long trip to Maui. All I can say is that the beauty of the island is overwhelming. While biking down Mt. Haleakala I saw plants and trees that looked so magical they almost looked fabricated. I feel lucky to have spent 1 of my 52 weeks in 2015 there. On the other hand, I was loaded with guilt for leaving my kids that long. Why don’t guys ever feel the guilt?
I know I’m a foodie because I find the same kind of beauty in food. Like these brownies. I fell in love with the buttery brownie base and now want to use it for any brownie I make from now on out. The brownies are topped with marshmallows and a rich ganache that I fell in love with too. The mixture of chocolate chips, cream, and a little butter cream creates the silkiest ganache I’ve ever had…and consequently now want to pour on everything.
These brownies get the same reaction every time. People take one off the plate, assuming that they’re regular old brownies, and then they take a bite. Every time they turn around and say, “These are soooo good! Can I have the recipe?”
The ganache topping for these brownies are silky and decadent.
Fold in some marshmallows.
Layer the marshmallow topping on the cooked brownies.
My neighbor Julie has made them a couple of times for me and hands down these were our favorite treat at Christmas this year. And after harassing her relentlessly I finally have the recipe!
OTHER CHOCOLATE RECIPES:
- Molten Lava Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Souffle
- Easy Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- S’mores Cookies
- No-Bake Cookies
Mississippi Mud Brownies
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, (like Bakers)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
Chocolate Ganache-Marshmallow Topping:
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon butter
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- For the brownies: In a large glass bowl, combine the unsweetened chocolate and butter. Heat in microwave 1-2 minutes stirring intermittently until melted and smooth.
- Beat in eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt until well blended.
- Stir in flour, blending well.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes. Do not overbake! Brownies should be moist. Cool in pan.
- For topping: Combine chocolate chips and cream in a large glass bowl. Heat in microwave 1-2 minutes stirring twice until melted and smooth. Add butter and stir until melted and smooth. Fold in marshmallows.
- Spread topping evenly over the top of cooled brownies. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Source: my neighbor Julie Motes