Southwest Burger: Dad Food
With all the flavor in this southwest burger, no one will mind the fact that it's healthy turkey rather than beef.
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chuck or ground sirloin (turkey burger is good too)
- 1 1/2 chipotle peppers canned in adobo sauce, cut up
- 1 1/2 T adobo sauce (from the chipotle chili can)
- 1/4 cup grated onion (I just minced mine with my food chopper)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp adobo sauce (from the canned chipotle chilis)
- 2 T chopped fresh cilantro
- 4-6 good quality buns
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1-2 avocados, sliced
- optional: jack, cotija, or queso fresco cheese (or your favorite sliced cheese)
To make the mayo, just put ingredients in a small bowl and mix together. Place in the fridge until ready to use. You can also make this ahead of time.
Gently crumble meat into a bowl. Add the other ingredients and gently work together. They give a great tip that if you overwork it, the meat gets a gross texture, so just mix until it is worked through.
Then divide into 4 patties (or 6 small patties) and place on your preferred cooking surface, be it grill, indoor grill, or skillet.
In the last few minutes of grilling, add your cheese. When done, remove from grill and let cool for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, toast your buns and lather the prepared mayo on both sides. Then place burger on bun, add avocado, tomato, and lettuce and eat away into bliss!
Source: Our Best Bites