Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars
These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars are an easy treat to throw together and have my favorite foods in one – peanut butter and chocolate!
While we were in Maui we had a long drive to one of our destinations and I was telling our friends how we were just going to count this Maui trip as our 15 year anniversary trip. To which I was corrected by my husband and our friends that we’re only celebrating 14 years this year. 14 years?! That’s like half my life. Kind of, sort of.
When you’ve been married to someone for 14 years you kind of morph into one person. You take on some of their traits and verbage and they take on yours.
- In group settings you can say things without uttering a word (like this person is crazy!).
- I know that when he clears his throat he’s about to say something that I’m not gonna be thrilled with. “Oh honey, we got asked to talk in church.” “By the way, so and so asked if I could golf everyday this week.”
- And I can read any menu and know exactly what my he will order. Buffalo something, a philly cheese steak, or lobster bisque.
He knows that chocolate chip cookies are my ultimate weakness and no matter what diet I may be on, I’ll always eat a least two. Chocolate chip cookies are the sixth love language. When my friends give me cookies for my birthday or my hubby comes home from work trips with a stash of cookies, just like the Grinch, my heart grows three times that day. It seriously swells with overwhelming love…which is why I make them often because who doesn’t like that kind of euphoria?
These are like the ultimate trifecta – peanut butter, chocolate, and um…more peanut butter. Promise me you won’t bake them too long. That’s the only way you will ruin them. Delicate, buttery, chocolate chip goodness.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons milk, (more if needed)
- Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugars and peanut butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, oats, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture and mix well. Spread mixture into prepared pan, pressing down with your hands. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and slightly press them into the bars.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Do not overbake! Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Combine icing ingredients adding more milk if necessary to reach a drizzle consistency. Drizzle over the top. Cool completely and then cut into bars. Store in an airtight container.
Source: Taste of Home
I didn’t put the chocolate chip in when I baked we always wait till it cooks then spread them on top and spread when melted the drizzle. Yummy.
Made these tonight and, while they are tasty, they are average. Just a basic bar cookie that I don’t think I’ll make again. Sorry. I was so excited to make them, but it just didn’t have the right balance for me.
Ok. Sorry you didn’t like them.
I made these last night for a birthday potluck at work today. They were gone in less that 3 hours! What a hit! Thank you!!
Side note: Your buffalo chicken dip is ALWAYS a winner… any day, any occasion, any group, ANYWHERE! Yummmm! I use a rotisserie chicken and leave chunks of chicken in the dip. Also, per my husband, this MUST be served with Fritos scoops!
Glad you love it as much as I do.
Oh MY!!!! This looks like the PERFECT cookie! The icing looks absolutely killer!
peanut butter and chocolate are such a great combo. My son has a peanut-allergy so maybe I’ll try them with Sunbutter. Thanks!
I love Sunbutter. Not sure how they will turn out with it but good luck!
They looks delicious!
Yummy for my tummy!!
These look so delicious! I love peanut butter and chocolate chip bars!
That icing looks to die for! I’d be all over these bars 🙂
Thanks! I was – there goes my diet.