This Lemon Pie is light, sweet and tart lemon pie with a thick graham cracker crust. The famous Magnolia Lemon Pie by Joanna Gaines.
I think I might have been the last person in this world to watch the show Fixer Upper with Chip and Joanna Gaines. If you haven’t seen the show, run and watch it now and you’ll immediately fall in love with them. I happened to be on a really long flight and started binge watching their show. Here’s why I love them. They’re genuine. I don’t think they feel like they have to put on a show, they’re just themselves. Of course I gravitated to her easy Lemon Pie…which literally is done in under 20 minutes. My kind of pie.
And you know why I’m making pie, right? It’s almost Pi day. March 14th? 3.14? Did I lose you? 3.14 is the digital reading for March 14th and constant for the symbol Pi
My sister-in-law Kim had her heart transplant 4 years ago on March 14th so every year we make a pie (or eat one if we’re out of town) on that day to celebrate her new chance at life. We made this Banana Cream Pie a couple of years ago. Yum.
This year we will be on a plane once again so I’m here early to share this pie with you. As I was making it, I realized it’s very similar to the Key Lime Pie in my cookbook, except obviously made with lemons instead of limes. Her original recipe calls for 3 cups of sweetened condensed milk which is about 2 1/4 cans. I stuck with just 2 cans. It definitely doesn’t make a difference so unless you really want to open an entire can to just use a tiny bit of it, do it my way.
I was invited to go on a trip to check out the Magnolia store and meet Chip and Joanna and couldn’t go so this is my way of living vicariously through my friends who went. Enjoy!
|Magnolia's Lemon Pie|| |
- 1 ½ cups crushed graham crackers
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 (14 ounce) cans Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk (about 2¾ cup)
- 3 egg yolks
- ⅔ cup lemon juice
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the Crust: Spray a pie dish with non-stick spray. Combine crushed graham crackers, butter, and sugar. Press into prepared pie plate. Bake for 8 minutes.
- For the Pie Filling: Using a mixer, mix the condensed milk, egg yolks, lemon juice ans salt together. Beat on medium speed for 4-5 minutes. Pour into pie crust and bake for 10 minutes at 350. Little bubbles will start to surface. Cover the crust if it starts to brown too much towards the end.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.
- For the Whipped Cream: Mix the cream, sugar, and vanilla. Whip until fluffy, and add to cooled lemon pie.