Melted Snowmen Oreo Balls

These Melted Snowman Oreo Balls are festive and a great addition to any holiday party. I guarantee they’ll be the first to go.

Oreo truffles are one of my all time favorite desserts. I can pop about 20 and then start to feel guilty. I always bring them to parties because people just can’t get enough. Nabisco asked me to make their holiday version of these and these melted snowman couldn’t get any cuter.
Melted Snowman Oreo Balls - the-girl-who-ate-everything.com

snowman-meltedStart by making your Oreo truffles. Mix the cream cheese and crushed Oreos and form them into balls. Place them in the freezer to get hard. You can do this step way ahead to save time. snowman-melted-2Once they’re frozen, dip them in your melted candy coating. In the past I’ve dipped mine in milk chocolate so I didn’t have to mess with getting any of the Oreo in the white coating. But for these snowman we obviously want to use a white coating. I’ve noticed that the actual vanilla candy wafers work better than almond bark and don’t leave the trail of Oreos in the coating. snowman-melted-3Usually with Oreo truffles you have to dip them and then shake off the excess coating to get a nice round ball. The great thing about these is you don’t have to worry about that. Once you’ve dipped them let the coating pool at the bottom to give you the melting snowman effect. These mini Oreos work perfectly for the snowman’s hat. Melted Snowman Oreo Balls - the-girl-who-ate-everything.comYou can decorate the faces with frosting or even use sprinkles for the eyes and nose.  I used the frosting in the tubes in the baking aisle. Just make sure after you decorate them, stick them in the fridge so the faces can harden. These take a little time but my kids loved them!

To get some fresh new holiday party inspiration, make sure to visit The Ultimate Party Planner. It features lots of yummy and festive holiday recipes along with tips on how to host the perfect party this holiday season and you can print Publix coupons to use for your grocery shopping this holiday season. Visit nabiscopublixpartyplanner.com to get inspired and save!

Melting Snowman Oreo Balls

Prep time
Total time

Serves: 40
Ingredients
  • 1 pkg. (8 oz.) brick cream cheese, softened
  • 36 OREO Cookies (regular size), finely crushed
  • 16 oz. vanilla candy wafers or melts, melted (these can be found at Walmart, target, Michaels or other craft stores)
  • 48 Mini OREO Bite Size Cookies
  • decorations: decorating icing or gel; multi-colored sprinkles
Instructions
  1. Mix cream cheese and cookie crumbs until well blended. I like to crush the Oreos in a food processor and then add the cream cheese and process it together. It can also be done by hand though.
  2. Shape into 48 (1-inch) balls; place in single layer in shallow pan. Some readers have stuck toothpicks in the top before freezing for easier dipping later. Freeze for at least 20 minutes. They can be frozen for longer. Dip balls in melted coating (see note); I do this by using a fork and tapping the fork on the bowl of my candy coating to remove some of the extra coating. If you used the toothpick option dip balls and then gently remove the toothpick and fill in the hole with melted candy coating. Place in shallow waxed paper-lined pan, allowing excess coating to pool at bottom of each ball.
  3. Chill balls until coating is set.
  4. Decorate with remaining ingredients as shown in photo. You can use the candy coating to adhere the hat to the head. Place in the fridge immediately to set up the decorations.
  5. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm. Keep refrigerated.
Notes
I have used almond bark before to dip these but found that the candy wafers work better. Sometimes when you dip the balls the Oreos can leave some crumbs in the coating but the wafers tend to do this way less.
I like to divide my coating into half or fourths so that if for some reason dark oreo bits get in one bowl you have others as back up. You can even dip them twice. Once in a layer and if it has oreo bits, oh well. The second time dip them in a fresh melting coating bowl and then there are no crumbs to worry about. I only had to dip these once but in the past I've had oreo bits sneak in my white coating
Source: http://www.snackworks.com/recipe/melting-snowmen-cookie-balls-128120.aspx

I was compensated by Mondelez/Nabisco for this post. All opinions are my own.

Melted Snowman Oreo Balls - the-girl-who-ate-everything.com
The following two tabs change content below.
Christy is the voice behind The Girl Who Who Ate Everything! She is no stranger to making meals that kids and adults will love. She grew up in Mesa, Arizona as the youngest of ten kids. She can always be found in her kitchen with music playing and cooking with her kids. She published her first cookbook in 2014. She loves party food that gets the conversations going!

Latest posts by Christy Denney (see all)

Speak Your Mind

Comments

1. These are so cute! I would eat them all. Oreos are so hard to stop.

2. The cute-factor here is OFF the charts! I love how easy they are too. So perfect for Holiday gift giving! Pinned 🙂

3. Super cute! I may just have to give these a try…

4. These are incredibly cute! Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

5. I make Oreo balls year round, but have never seen any so creatively done. I like to use the red peppermint cream Oreos that can be found in the stores soon to give a festive twist to mine. I look forward to dressing mine up this year and giving the candy wafers a try too. So cute, thanks for sharing!

6. Oreos are the only store bought cookie that tempts me. I can’t believe what a darling adorable treatment you have used on them. Gosh, they are soooo sweet. Well they are cookies aren’t they—-they are supposed to be sweet.

7. So cute! Pinned them too. Thanks.

8. Thanks so much! You’ve just solved my problem of what to bring to a cookie exchange!! These little guys are adorable!

9. I made these with the help of my 3 year old, she saw them when I pulled up the blog and luckily we had the ingredients on hand. I used white chocolate chips and they worked great and are inexpensive. Our only problem was the eyes and nose kept sliding down the face. I may use tinted frosting next time. We used melted milk chocolate chips for the mouth and that set up fine.

10. I can’t get over how cute these are!!!! 🙂 🙂

11. These snowmen look awesome! Perfect for Christmas and I bet they taste delicious too!

12. Hi! Love these! Do you think you can freeze them after making for future use? I’d like to make them now & put out for Christmas. TIA!

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

I think they would freeze great! I know regular OReo truffle freeze great. You may want to add the face and oreo once you’re ready to serve. It could be fine though.

13. These are adorable!

What do you use to get the balls out of the frosting without messing up the smoothness of the frosting?

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

Make sure you freeze them long and hard. It’s not frosting, it’s candy coating and it is much thinner.

14. the 36 cookies that are crushed to make the truffles , are they plain cookies or the same type as used for the snowmans hat

15. I can’t wait to make these to take to the Christmas Pageant at my daughter’s preschool on Monday night. I just have two quick (and possibly silly) questions, though. Did you put on the mini oreo while the white coating was still wet or did you place a dab of frosting under it to keep it in place? Second, should I decorate the face after the white coating has a chance to harden or right after dipping? Thanks, Christy!

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

Jamie,
      Definitely decorate the face after the coating has hardened. Also adhere the hat with a little frosting or leftover candy coating.

• For those having trouble with the candy melts not being smooth, there are two tricks. The first is to make sure you are not of we heating the melts. I usually melt them at 50% power in 30-45 second intervals, stirring after each interval. A little time consuming, but it helps.

Second, if the mixture seems too thick, try adding a SMALL amount of shortening. I use high ratio shortening, but vegetable shortening will work. It will help thin out the melts so they will set more smoothly. Again, a very small amount is needed.

16. Any tips for getting the Oreo hats to stick?

17. do u use the whole cookie with the centers too or just the 2 sides without the center

18. WOW! Those look so good! I like to order my cookies from http://www.eloisespastries.com. They ship anywhere in country

19. I need these for the next day…would it be best to freeze just the oreos overnight or oreos dipped overnight, then decorate tomorrow?

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

Deb,
      They freeze great. You can freeze them dipped or undipped. You could probably even decorate and then freeze them. You can freeze the balls up to weeks ahead of time.

20. I’ve made the Oreo truffles before using the same recipe, however, I didn’t decorate them as cute snowmen! Next batch I make I will do that with my daughters. Great idea!

21. I’m gonna try this! thanks

22. could you tell me what brand is the candy wafers? I’m not really sure of this product, thanks

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

I used Wilton candy melts. They can be bought at Walmart, Michaels or any other craft store. Grocery stores also carry it this time of year.

23. do you crush the Oreo filling with to make the balls? Or is it just the Oreo cookie

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

Jazmin,
      Yes, the recipe calls for finely crushed oreo cookies. This can be done in a Ziploc bag by hand or with a food processor.

24. These are delicious, however the posted example pic is VERY unrealistic to achieve. Mine turned out more like melted snowman with lopsided faces. And by looking at #PinterestFail on Instagram it appears I am not the only one!

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

Sorry Jennifer. I’ve made quite a few oreo balls in my day so I’m sure practice makes perfect. Sorry yours didn’t turn out.

• I’d have to agree with Jennifer. I’m making the truffles for a cookie exchange tomorrow and have been working on these since Wednesday. They are not smooth, and I can’t decorate them at all. I wish I hadnt bought all the ingredients. It’s too late to stop the process, but I won’t be making these again. It’s a really unrealistic achievement., and I think that they are way too sweet.

25. We are making these and they look horrible…..how do you get the icing to look so smooth?

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

If you rest the ball on the fork and then dip them and then tap the fork on the edge of the bowl of coating it helps smooth it out.

26. Jane down below had a great idea. I’m going to try to talk my wife into making these for her family’s cookie exchange. They look and sound great and the kids will love them.

27. Hi do these need to be refrigerated due to cream cheese????

• I was wondering this too. My daughter has a Christmas party tomorrow afternoon. Can i send them with her in the morning and them sit at room temp until the party?

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

You should store them in the fridge until ready to serve. I even freeze them and then sit them out if I know they have to be out for a long time. They can sit out at room temperature for a couple of hours. That’s just me though. I’m not a food safety expert.

28. Christy, I think your an awesome cook, thank you for all your ideas. Merry Christmas to you and your family
    Tina

29. Love them!!! Super cute and very easy to make! Great instructions-mine turned out amazing! ! 🙂

30. I can’t get the melted white chocolate wafers to melt to a consistency that looks smooth on the Oreo balls. Is there a secret ?

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

As long as they are melted you can dip them and then get the excess off by tapping your dipping fork with the oreo on it on the side of the bowl. That smoothes it out.

31. Hi
    I’m making it right now but I’m having trouble. I made the Oreo balls last night and freezed it up. I just woke up and melted the white baking morsels. I went to the store and couldn’t find any wafers so I got those instead. So I tried to put one Oreo ball in and it like basically melted. I put the Oreo balls back in the freezer, maybe it wasn’t hard enough.I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. So I let the white baking morsels cool down before I put it on the oreo balls? Please help!!! I need them for later tonight. Thanks

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

Baking morsels do not have the same consistency as almond bark or wafers. If your dipping chocolate is too warm it could melt the balls.

32. Hi, these snowmen look so adorable! I’m from the UK and have a couple of questions about the recipe that I would love for someone to clear up.
    Firstly, the recipe reference cream cheese, is American cream cheese the same as British cream cheese? In Britain cream cheese such as the brand phillidelpia is savoury and used as a dip or spread on crackers, it’s not really used in baking so I just wanted to check if it was the same thing in the two countries.
    Secondly we don’t have candy wafers in Britain so could you suggest a substitute? Maybe white chocolate could be used instead?
    Thanks for your time 🙂

33. Allison Bintner says:

Its so easy, I love it!

34. These are too cute! I make Oreo balls every year and just sprinkle the cookie crumbles on top, which I like, but this makes it a lot more fun for the kids. Thanks for the recipe!

35. Thank you! These are so simple and I know that my grandchildren (and probably children!) will love them. Your recipe is so easy to follow……amazes me how some try to complicate a simple recipe! Your description of how to make them is great!

36. Just a tip I’ve learned from experience. When I roll the oreo/cream cheese mixture into balls, I put a round toothpick in the top and set them in the freezer for a while. I then dip them in the chocolate by holding the tip of the toothpick – you can turn them and coat them beautifully. Before they set completely, simply turn the toothpick back and forth and gently remove it from the top – you can fill the hole it makes with some melted chocolate in a sandwich bag with the corner cut off.

37. Has anyone tried making these away of time and freezing them?

38. Maggie Reynolds says:

These look wonderful! I wonder if using vanilla Oreos would be any good?

39. What do you use to make the eye’s, nose and the mouth? Thanks Carolyn

40. Approximately how many cups does 36 crushed Oreos make? I have left over crumbled Oreo cookies that I used as a caramel apple topping and would like to use them up. Thanks.

Bev

41. Can you crush the Oreos using a blender?

42. When you crush the Oreos do you leave the filling in? I absolutely love the mint Oreos!

43. Are you suppose to take the middle of the Oreo out ? Or leave it in?

44. Most of these questions can be answered by just reading the other comments or the recipe itself. Tip, practice with a few and if it is a disaster, don’t waste your ingredients. Just form the balls, freeze them and dip them. Before the coating hardens, sprinkle with crushed Oreos or candy canes. This way you have no wasted your ingredients and you still have a cute cookie. If three faces run and you hate it, modify! lol it’s allowed!! It’s your creation!! goodness

45. Super cute!! I would like to make these for a cookie exchange, but I’m concerned about refrigeration. Do they require constant refrigeration or would they be ok for a few days outside of the fridge?

46. have you ever made these days ahead and frozen until day of use?

47. The snowmen didn’t find out too well . The white coating is not smooth at all . Is there a trick to the white coating ?

48. I have read all the comments and still don’t see a clear answer from the author to the question of whether the filling is left in the Oreo cookies when you crush them or not.

49. I made these yesterday and oh my are they good. I had a problem with icing running down the face though.
    Any suggestions on how to avoid that? I thought about making a stiff confection sugar frosting and applying with a tooth pick.
    Thank you for recipe.
    CJ

50. Do you leave the filling in the oreos, or just the cookie waffer?

51. These would also be great for Halloween as little pumpkins!!

52. Any tips on actually rolling the ball? The mixture stuck to my hands so they are very round.

53. How long can these sit out without going bad/losing shape? Thanks!!
    Looks so cute!

54. I thought these were so cute–bought everything for the recipe and made them today–turned out disastrous–coating too thick–didn’t even look like snowballs–I followed recipe to the t and don’t know what I did wrong–any suggestions??

• Billi Styerse says:

Hey, I have some tips for you I just made them as well and they look great first freeze your balls with toothpicks the make for easy dipping then use a very round bow, hold the bowl on its side and pull the ball through the candymelts to the rim and turn quickly do it again until completely covered.

• Did you use almond bark? Or Candy melts?

55. Billi Styerse says:

Okay so I just made these and they are super cute, but before I did I read through all the comments and was scared but they turned out great so I’m gonna give out a few tips. First freeze your Oreo balls with toothpicks, for the candymelts I used Wilton’s cand melts from and melted about 1\4 of the bag in a small bowl (I used a salsa bowl) I held the bowls sideways and just dipped the balls pulling them up to the rim and turning as I went. They came out perfectly round. And for the faces this is where i had problems until my mom said make your own Icing and I did and it went fabulous, just slipped it in a little plastic bag snipped the corner and presto was done in minutes.

Recipe for Icing: 1cp powdered Sugar, 1\2tsp Vanilla and 1tbsp of milk and just bend together.

56. Danielle Hansen says:

Just wanted to say Thank you they are delicious. Also helpful thing, when I made them I used potato masher to crush up Oreos in the beginning. It was s alt easier. I don’t have food processor and didn’t want to do it by hand. So just wanted to share that! 🙂

57. Made these for my daughter’s 1/2 birthday treat yesterday. They were a huge hit by all: staff, kids and other parents. Although I had to buy different caps for all the frosting tubes and my recipe only made 30, I will make again over x-mas break, for just my family to enjoy!! DELICIOSNESS!!!! TY!!

58. Do you scrape the cream out of the Oreos or crush them whole? Thanks!