I’ve been searching for a pink treat to share with you since we found out some big pink news last week. Yep! We are having a baby girl! After having three boys, I still can’t believe it. I always thought I was destined to a life of all boys. I know you’re not supposed to care what the sex is but when the ultrasound tech told me I just said, “REALLY?!” through tears of joy.
I feel like the girly side of me went into hiding over the years with all of the boys in my house. But now that we are having a girl, I suddenly feel the need to always have my toes painted and to up my girl factor.
Yesterday was National Cheesecake Day and although I’m a day late, (and these aren’t really pink) I thought these strawberry cheesecake cupcakes were worth sharing. I made these for my friend Jenni’s birthday. The cupcakes have a graham cracker crust, with a strawberry cupcake, and cream cheese frosting. I saw these over at Joylicious and she swears that this is 1 of 3 recipes you need to win a man’s heart. Her pictures are gorgeous so go check them out.
|Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes|| |
- 2 sleeves of graham cracker crumbs (about 18 whole crackers)
- 1 stick of butter (8 Tablespoons), room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons of sugar
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and coarsely chopped (and more for garnish)
- 2 (8 ounce) packets of cream cheese (16 ounces total)
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter (16 Tablespoons)
- 3¾ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 16-18 muffin tins with cupcake liners. Mix graham cracker crumbs with butter and sugar using a food processor. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of the crushed graham cracker into the bottom of each prepared muffin tin. Press down using fingers and bake for 3-5 minutes or until slightly browned. Remove immediately from oven and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl beat the egg whites until stiff, glossy peaks appear, about 3-4 minutes, be careful not to overbeat. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy and then add the vanilla and beat on a low-speed. Then add half the flour mixture until incorporated then mix in the sour cream or yogurt. Add remaining flour and mix until just blended.
- Gently fold ⅓ of the egg into the batter until combined, do not over mix the egg whites or the cake will fall flat. Add remaining egg and fold in the chopped strawberries. Fill each muffin tin about ¾ of the way and bake for about 20 minutes depending on your oven. You can test to see if they are done by sticking a toothpick through the center, if it comes out clean it is ready to take out!
- For the cream cheese frosting:In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth. Add the sugar slowly in small batches, beating on low speed until incorporated. Once all sugar has been added, increase the speed to high and mix until light and fluffy. Refrigerate for 1 hour (I didn't do this). When ready to serve, spread icing on cupcakes or use a pastry bag with a star tip. Garnish with freshly cut strawberries and graham cracker crumbs and refrigerate until ready to serve. I definitely think these cupcakes are best when they have been chilled and then taken out of the fridge for a couple of minutes to soften.